Wednesday, July 07, 2021

Now, A Teaching Hospital

 



Traveling today was hot no question about it. I knew it would be hot because the dome was forecast to be active over Utah beginning today. Yesterday remember, when I made the appointment for a doctor's appointment for referral to the wound clinic I was given the chance of a 10:30 AM appointment or later appointment at 2:30 PM. It seems I was wise because I chose the latter mainly because I remember that today was Wednesday which is a program day: poop in the shower. I should've been able to make my program and still made my physicians appointment but my history with this caregiver as proven to me not to make plans that require a time commitment. True to form Melanie didn't even show up till about 8:15 AM meaning that if I was really lucky I would be done with the program in the shower at 9:15 AM but more likely 10 AM if not later not given me enough time to get to the bus make the trip over to Murray and get my appointment taking care of. Therefore, I spent the morning dressing, trying to clean the place up a little bit and my arm bike routine. I finally left four my appointment around 12:30 PM I just couldn't wait any longer. The excuse that I used for showing up early was that I'd received an email indicating the number of questions they wanted filled out by the time that I got to the clinic. Once there the check-in woman named Robin assured me that there was no need for this information since they would ask me any pertinent questions if they had any. 1:30 PM I still had an hour to wait before I was to be seen by Dr. Brandon. I wasn't sure but the document I had to sign with at least 12 questions all having to do with being willing to accept a medical appointment, findings, evaluation and counsel from a resident physician. I guess the clinic I attend is gone over to be in a teaching facility big time that sounds like more than one individual has problems with resident physicians.


I kind of like the concept of resident physicians, I mean people have to learn somewhere in some time I feel a bit privileged being part of that. 2:30 PM finally rolled around after an hour of shifting my weight as well as messing around with my cell phone. At 2:45 PM I rolled up and asked Robin if the doc was late or running late. She did that weird thing where she stands up walks back to where you can see her anymore goes back about five minutes later indicating “yes Dr. Brandon was running late”. Finally they called my name and I rolled back to the exam room. We of course did their vitals and my blood pressure was excellent. Within another 10 minutes and found it Brandon shows up only just barely an adolescent may be a bit older. Dr. Brandon did not inspire a lot of confidence but I didn't need a lot just a referral to the wound clinic. I don't know what it happened with the images that I had sent forward to the clinics earlier this week but clearly there is nothing in my file. Dr. Brandon spoke generalities and I nodded and filled them is about spinal cord injury a little bit. I guess this is a teaching moment I still felt weird. We finally ended our appointment after he had had a good look at my butt and a commitment from him that he would be contact one way or the other with the wound clinic in the next couple of days and see that clinician would find a way to my butt and have a dressing applied to the wound that I should be careful for the next couple days and make sure that I was doing my weight shifting exercises. I wasn't impressed will see what happens with the wound people and I for sure will keep you advised… The image on today's post was the little kid kept me company as I killed time out in the lobby…

No comments: