Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Wednesday's chili




 Growing up I didn't even know you could get chili from a restaurant or any place except from home. I thought my mom made the best chili ever and she probably did at least as far as I was concerned or I'm concerned. She made chili the old fashioned way actually taking the chili beans or the big red beans from the sacks where we kept them in the food storage area the houses pantry soaking them overnight at least and then cooking them all day and I assume that the last moment be the last couple of hours adding the ground beef and all the other flavors that go in to chili. I think every once in a while she even made cornbread but more often than not it was great stacks of saltine crackers. I won't even go into a dissertation about how the day saltine crackers taste different than the saltines from yesterday. The saltines and those days came in four section pieces that is the cracker is one giant cracker that can you break into four sections that are the size of most individual crackers today. It could be that was if the rest of the kids the brand mom got because it was the least expensive I don't know. But I do know what the crackers had their own flavor that they don't have now and the flavor went with cold milk.


One could grind the crackers up to us find a powder as you could have the patience to do so and mix up inside the chili making a very thick thick soup at best if not almost porridge. I never did this but my older brother did. I learned pretty early it was probably wisest to do the opposite of anything that he did at least around food anyway. Sometimes the soup or chili was thicker than other times. I don't think chili everlasted around our house more than three days. I don't know if the rest of the kids like the chili as much as I did it was always hard to say. The older ones never complained about anything it seemed like and the younger kids complained about everything so they were just white noise but I know I really liked my mom's chili. 


It was really cute my home health person showed up and had this small bell jar filled to the brim with chili. No litter or anything like that just the jar filled to the brim with this chili. Of course I was not going to eat the chili right then so I stuck in the refrigerator and because I didn't want to create anything on my own tonight I thought I will have the chili and I did. In my store of paper plates and bowls I got a bowl out spooned in half of the jar of chili heated up and dying on new saltine crackers. Aside from being a shade salty the chili was great. My mom's chili was a little sweeter she must have used more sugar but still Melissa's chili was great to have for dinner tonight and maybe tomorrow as well. It's good to be looked after..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok thanks a lot you have now made me hungry!