Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Dark Snow Dead Chairs



It was beautiful when I left this morning. It was snowing. I usually have some forewarning that the snow is coming but not this morning so I was taken completely by surprise. About an inch had fallen and the snow was coming down still. It was a weird snow though almost a brittle snow, a coarse snow but it was warm too warmer then it has been. I was quite pleased to be off to the train in dark light of the early morning now.

I think this morning’s snow took everyone off guard for as I motored up to work the streets had yet to be plowed and I silently broke fresh snow pack as I headed toward the station. I noticed the snow flaked became much more puffy and now the flakes were huge. In fact the flakes were so huge they actually cast shadows on the snow which was already on the ground. What fascinated me was that the shows left by the flakes were ,of course, black and exact negative of the flake which produced the shadow. The shadows were being reflected by the street lights along the way to the station. The flakes falling were cool, producing the black shadow right till they hit the ground and then the snow flake would vanish. This phenomenon was so cool to watch just the negative and positive universes coming together. The snow hanged even further as I neared the station, the snow lightened in the intensity of how heavy it was falling. By the time I reached the station the snow was fine and had almost stopped. It was magical.

About 11:0 this morning I was working at my desk and suddenly my power chair lost it’s power! The modulator has been getting more and more loose the pastcoule of weeks and I was not sure but would not have been surprised if this had something to do with the malfunction. When the a chair like mine looses power they are just a 300 pound paper weight. One must keep in mind that I am the only male on staff here which is not a big deal under most situations, but today being thee only male on staff was just weird. So, the only way to move this “paperweight” is to disengage the motors-this is easily done and was done. My regular back up chair I took home a couple of weeks ago and have never brought the chair back. But I do have some manual wheelchairs I keep at our pffice to gve to folks in need. These chairs are new but they are also junkers and very uncomfortable. Looks are pretty deceiving and I pass myself

off as being pretty independent but reality states that I am an quadriplegic and I am pretty damn chunky and without my chair I am almost immobile. Staff banded together to move me and it all of them to do the job, couple to hold the chair a couple to try and lift me and at least one to keep my pants up and me half way covered because my pants come off pretty quick. It’s not pretty its just the way things are.

I was able to gymp round, painfully, in this manual chair satisfactorly . I called my wheelchair repair place who sent out a mechanic, even thought they were “slammed” and he came out and fixed the problem…just a connection had come undone super easy fix and I am back in the saddle. I am in some pain but grateful I will be able to get home tonight. But I think I’ll bring the green chair back tomorrow.


No comments: