Monday, January 15, 2007

Opps Not Again





I did it again! I have destroyed another digital camera. This camera was my favorite too. Not all is lost, I am hoping the camera can be fixed at least I am going to try. The bottom line is maybe a digital camera is too fragile a device for a quadriplegic to try to credibly use for any extended period of time.

I was up early this morning the dog was fairly quiet, Dianne was sleeping so I was creeping round the house trying to take some creative images and as I was fiddling with the camera the unit slipped from my hands and fell to the hard wood floor and that was that. The camera is a Nikon Cool pix 2 and the problem is that when the camera fell to the floor the camera lit on its telescoping lens and bent the mechanism which pushes the lens out and brings the lens back. When I turn the camera on the lens slaves to move but cannot. I am hoping if I take the camera to a camera craftsman he will be able pound the unit back into to use able condition.

This Cool Pix was my first 5 mega pixel. I like it for that reason. The camera has some nice features, motion picture option and a neat audio recording function. But the whole system shuts down with this lens issue.

My first digital camera was a clunky 1 mega pixel Sony, and my second was a 3.2 also a Sony. I terribly liked all three cameras and learned a great deal from each. If I must replace this third I really do not want to go any higher then 5.1 mega pixels if I do not have to. Any higher, then I think you're waisting card space and making images so huge it's impossible to really send or use. I am really hoping everyone else will want to get as high a MP as possible which should make the lower MP cameras in lower demand. I wish I had the patience of my son, mark A, who has used EBAY a lot to get his cameras. I have to admit he has done quite well.

Some of the things I have learned I need to have a camera which selects the shooting features my button rather then by twisting a knob. My second camera was a knob twister and it quite literally wore out. The dial stripped so bad that I could not even turn the camera on with my teeth. I have been purchasing entry level gear and I have been getting entry level results. I have been pleased with the close up shooting but have not been pleased with long distance images. I also have not been happy with how long these low end cameras take to recharge to take the next image. Yet, I sure do not wand to spend anymore on a higher quality of apparatus just to drop it and loose it. That would make me cry. Right now I see this experience as a good excuse to acquire another picture taking machine.


No comments: