Sunday, January 07, 2007

I can See Clearly Now the Money's Gone...

Its funny how one event can start a larger chain of events which you feel you are completely out of control but of course you are in control and you choose to do nothing about. When I go to bed at night I place my glasses on the seat of my wheelchair. I do this so I know where the glasses will be when I get up the next morning. This morning as I was throwing the covers off of me when I got up I inadvertently knocked my glasses off my chair and into the spokes of my wheelchair. Darkness still ruled the morning and I tried to free my glasses by feel. When I had finally dislodged the specs I found I had torn one temple free of the frame. I still cannot figure out how I managed this feat but when I finally finally found the temple the screw was gone an hinge where the temple linked to the frame was mangled pretty bad. I really had nothing else planned to do day so I figured I would at least get the glasses fixed.

Auni was still with us and Dianne was pretty tired so I hung round helping out with Auni and the dog but I needed to escape before I failed completely as a grand parent. I needed gas-up the van and I also wanted to pick up a new SD card for my camera so I knew I would be making lot of stops. So, I stopped first at Eye World to get the repair done on the glasses.

The glasses were fixed, the sun was shining and I figured as long I was there I would get the new set of glasses. I was kind of hoping that they would be too busy to take me but I was informed they just had two cancellations and they would be able to take me. I gulped and said sure better to get the pain over with. Before I knew it I was turned over to Keli the optical tech. Keli directed to an exam room which is never accessible. I could get into the room but I had a difficult time getting up to the machine I had to look for the eye exam. Keli was great though. She was a small but tough. Keli informed me that she was a trained CNA(Certified Nurses Assistant) and she just jumped right in. Pulled me up straight in my chair and between the both of us snugged the eye machine up to my face and got the measurement. This completed she turned me over to the O.D.

Now the OD was a weird duck. I had to speculate ODs which have sprung up in Sams clubs, markets and places like Eye World across the country. Are these guys who could not find work in real offices. He seemed to be a bumbler. In fact the next test came when I was going to have to leave my chair. The doc just stood back and wringed his hands while Keli jumped in gave me a great frontal hug and braced my legs and threw me from my chair to the exam chair. I was impressed.

Fifteen minutes Keli and the doc got me back into the chair and I was handed my “free” prescription and sent to Debbie.

Debbie was ais one of those middle aged women who was probably a pretty cute “Debbie” in her day but now was just a nother “big nurse” character running the front office. I was told to pick the frames I wanted and to report back. In the mean time I had noted that the waiting room had filled up with all kinds of folks. And by that time I just wanted to get out of there. Eye World has this gimmick of “buy one get two free”. These are just gimmicks to get the fool in the door. I just wanted my glasses an I wanted to get out of Eye World...Twenty minutes I had turned over my Debit card and was $578.00 poorer with the promise on new glasses in a couple of weeks. I could not get out of there fast enough.

So, knocking my glasses of the wheelchair early this morning led to this purchase this afternoon. I did not plan this way it just happened.


No comments: