Tuesday, January 02, 2007

First Day Back

First day back from a vacation always intimidates me. It’s like what if I get to the office and the office has moved and they did not tell me. I am sure this has something to do with the fact that I am an adopted child but I hate coming back after a break, but, I must admit, as days back to work go this has been pretty good. I was slowed down by a meeting early on but the day sped up after lunch.

Returning calls from last week and new calls coming in and just new month and especially New Year activities has kept me pretty focused at my desk. I was able to run across the street at lunch and pick up a calendar at Barnes and Nobel. I was supposed to have a day-timer waiting for me on my return bur our fornt desk person spaced the order or something which is good because as I was spending my B&N gift card last week I noticed that the day-timers were half off and the selection was great and would allow me to get the day-timer I really wanted. So now I am ready for the new year.

When I checked my emails on my State account I noticed I had an email from JT the guy who had the position I have now before me. Interestingly enough, JT is also a quad. JT is now working a similar position in California only much large. Jt runs a “211” I&R in San Diego , this is big time. I had not heard from JT in a couple of years and was pleased to hear he was still up and running. True JT is a younger quad and person then I am, but still JT has been round a long time and he is still “pushing”. JT continues to buy these huge manly pick up trucks then invests in these elaborate pieces of technology which allows him to drive them independently. Jt is out there and he is working it. San Diego 211 is like the majors for information and referral. Certainly, not like the L.A. market, or NYC or even Denver but JT is definitely out of the bush leagues.

Where JT is still right in the middle of “work life”. I am on the end. I did something to my neck a few days ago and I have been experiencing lots of pain ever since. The pain is something I will need to look into if the pain persists. I have been getting announcements from SSA the last couple of months : little messages indicating what I would earn if I would retire today. The amount I receive now as compared to what I would get in 10 or so years is not much difference plus add into the fact that Dianne has enough coming in with what I would receive—we could actually make it. I have never consider this truly, I always have been under the idea I would work till I just dropped dead at my desk. What if I COULD retire this year or next and enjoy what life I might have left after I retire. This is truly something to think about.

No comments: