Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Birthday




Yesterday was my birthday, again!! I am nearing sixty, which I find hard to fathom. I don’t feel like I think a person nearing sixty should feel but the numbers are there and yesterday I turned 58 years old. My boss was ill yesterday too, if she had been here we would have gone to lunch, as a staff, which is fun, a place of my choosing. I was dreading making the choice because, even though the office is located downtown, there really is not a lot of places to go with walking distance of our office and since I am at work in my power chair, its not as if I can load up into a vehicle and go some where. But, this ended up being a mute point since my boss was too ill to come and hence no lunch—however, staff did buy doughnuts and that was just as good.

As I said my boss was ill yesterday and did not come which was too bad because my boss always providers a gift, a good gift too. My boss is cool in that she actually gives gift, thoughtful gifts. I have never had a boss who gave real gifts. So, no boss no gift and work was work. Today is a major meeting the office has every other month and this month the meeting is even larger since the legislature is in session and part of the meeting is to meant to expose people we serve to their legislatures in hope of making some positive changes for people with disabilities. So the meeting too is up at the state capitol building. So the boss drags her self in for the meeting and indeed has the gift to present to me in a break in the whirlwind of action caused by the staff as they get ready for today’s meeting. I am called into the office and with what staff is at the office sing the mandatory “Happy Birthday” and the “present sack” is thrust into my hand with the trendy cute card. It was fast and fun and over before as I opened the sack and pulled out cans of meat I am sure I have discussed with staff at one time or another in the 10 plus years I have been at this office. I have to admit I was delighted: Spam, Corn beef and Vienna sausages all in the can. So often I am left grousing round the office looking for something I can make a lunch out of and here fixens for lunches made in paradise. The boss had found the perfect gift. She is really incredible.

1 comment:

Camelia said...

I suck. Happy Belated. All I can see on the card in the first picture is the word GAY, what the heck kind of Birthday card did your woman give you??