Wednesday, February 11, 2009

It's Out!!

My week had started with such great excitement when my wheelchair sales guy called to inform me that my new wheelchair had arrived and he needed to make and appointment when I could come down to the shop and be fitted for the new power chair. Yes I was excited but the excitement was guarded because, I have learned from my life that if there I something which can go wrong there is a good chance that that something will go wrong. Well, something kind a did go wrong.
I had made the appointment for the end of the day. Four o clock and I was able to get down to the shop on time. Brent, my sales guy, was actually beaming when he directed me over the brand new piece of equipment the Quantum 6000!
The Quantum 6000 is more complicated then any chair I have ever owned, the sales guy was actually training me to use the chair. The chair which arrived actually had an elevator seat! The seat would raise me up 8 inches, leg rests, raised automatically too. Plus the whole seat will rock back and that is the most important part because this feature will take the weight off my butt—and also the very best part is the chair is super fast which will help me cut all kinds of travel time going back and forth to work. I finally transferred from my chair to the Quantum 6000 and drove the chair round the parking lot then I found out the bad news. Brent said I had to go out to the parking lot o I would have enough to open up the chair to full speed. As you reader know, I am pretty cynical but even I was impressed. The chair has this neat surge system which allows the hair to allow the driver maximum control when moving to top acceleration. No “head snapping back” more of an oozing up to full speed.

The problem came when I tried to get myself and the chair into my van I found the chair was to big to fit into my van—the roof is too low. No matter how far I tried to bend down I would not be able to get me and the power chair in the van- the new chair was useless to me. I guess I would be OK if I never had to use the van but not using the van is really not an option—I use the van at least once a week to go to the market, are if I need to go somewhere for work the buses don’t go I need the van for that or if I go out of state on a trip like to a family reunion I need to be able to access the van for that so I am sending the chair back. The sales guy made some phone calls and got someone from the factory who gave us some positive feed back and maybe we can make this chair work for me. I am going to have to send the entire wheelchair back for the factory to make some adjustments I don’t know how much longer now it will before I can use my new chair hopefully just a couple of weeks. Fortunately the chair I am using now is working very well and will have to continue working well for a couple more weeks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i wish you could have all the bells and whistles...

Anonymous said...

hey marky-mark. my kidneys are basically okay...just 20% scarring due to high blood pressure. manageable and i will die with my kidneys working and still inside me. i won't be needing your kidney afterall. thanks for the offer though. haha. see you later, gator.

Manual wheelchair said...

That's good to hear! Hope you enjoy your new power chair.