Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Books are Good Medicine




I stayed home yesterday due to having a about of what I think was food poisoning. The day before, Monday, I had prepare a breakfast of scrambled eggs, onions and mushrooms—a great holiday meal.

Dianne had also been working in the pantry where we keep our meager collection of food storage and to or dismay had found many of the cans had bulge and in some cases exploded and drained. Over the past ten or so years we had heard muffled explosions in the house but had never pinpointed their origins and had never suspected the eruptions had come from our food storage. So Dianne had removed the remain cans, and cleaned the messes made over the years and now we were using the oldest cans we could find first. Looking back I don’t know how rock solid an idea this was. However, there was this small can of salsa which surfaced and needed to be used because if there ever had been an expiration date on the can that date was long past.

The mushroom, scrambled looked great as we sat down to eat on Sunday morning and opened the salsa and generously slathered the eggs with the salsa—Dianne did not and breakfast was great; later that day, however nature summer me to the bathroom where I remain for the rest of the night until I went to bed, exhausted. That was how I ended my holiday weekend. The night was worrisome and no accident occurred but little sleep had either so I elected to stay home. I have the ‘sick leave’, Tuesday there was nothing I knew was happening and the boss was scheduled to out of town until Wednesday so why not?

Yup, yesterday, I stayed home. The storms of the day before had blow away and not yet hot the day was pleasantly dry and warm. By noon I felt my stomach settling down to the point where I could trust being out in public away from my accessible toilet. I had my power chair charged all weekend long and had not gone anywhere. I was also without a book to read and I had wanted to get to B&N all weekend long and hadn’t so I decided to head-out. Dianne was busy in the bedroom with the cleanout project.

Purchasing a book usually takes m at least three hours buy I impressed myself by laving the house purchasing TWO books and getting back in less then three hours. I looked at the book bargain tables and saw a couple of “coffee-table” books I would like and I might get someday. I asked some questions but in the end I got a “Stephen King and a William Gibson” . I caught the bus up to B&N but instead of waiting for the next bus I decided to power on home which I did and then spent next number of hours sitting in the sun, reading and letting my stomach settle and get my mind ready for work today.

No comments: