Monday, May 18, 2009

Heat!!!!

Heat! I love the heat. It’s over 90 degrees out there in Salt Lake City right now, probably even hotter on the tarmac, but its wonderful. I am wearing my blue short sleeved shirt for the first time today. Dianne laid the shirt out for me—and I do have to admit, I was a bit chilled when I headed out the front door this morning at 5:45 but I was OK.

As I said , I had a meeting across town this morning at the Buffmire building and I took the bus over. I should have thought this out but there were all kinds of colorful folks on the bus hading West today. There was a whole gaggle of prison/jail release women occupying the buses back seat. They sounded like a flock of magpies in locust trees and it seemed that with every stop we made heading West another X-offender boarded my bus. They were having a good old time in the back seat. The driver seemed a bit intimidated and I cannot say I blamed him. After all a vocation of bus driving is not worth getting shanked for the way to Redwood Road for telling the passengers in the back to settle down.
The magpie flock got off at Utah Plasma Services(UPS) which seemed to be a joke among these perky sisters as they were getting they’re buy in for the week”.
Following their departure the bus was tombstone silent for the next couple blocks when I broke the reverie by announcing my stop. Of course the driver had forgotten he ha ‘tied’ me down so he had to go through the whole motion of unbuckling himself, coming back to me and then undoing me which he had me tied down with two straps—the driver taking me home used four straps and that was a real core getting me free.

I noticed as I was being lowered to the street level that the chorus of freed magpies had been replaced by as many Hispanic magpies all rattling away about this and that. It was great to be riding the buses again to make actual work related meetings and enjoying the temperature and the ride. Old folks, minorities of all sorts, and teenagers flocked on and off the bus at all stops. The driver talking into a microphone which may or man not work announcing stops and trying to be part of a conversation he had not been invited to of two passengers sitting right behind him.

A glorious day, three or four hours away from the office, use of public transit, being part of giving away more then $400,000 and a free lunch and best part all on the clock.

The forecast shows the weather to be clear and warm to hot all week, even into the weekend, and this weekend is a holiday weekend not that I have anything specific planned except just sitting on my tree covered ramp and reading.

No comments: