Monday, May 11, 2009

Google!

You know what is weird for me is to appreciate the vastness of the INTERNET, how deep the information well goes and how universal sea of information is as that sea laps just about on everyone’s reach one way or the other. For example today I go off on a tangent researching my grandfathers name. I wondered what would happen if I googled his name with a church I know that grandfather was affiliate with at one point in time. I did not find references I wanted associated with the 3rd Ward of Boise Stake but soon I was looking at other items to do with Boise stake and names I had long forgotten. I was intrigued at how much great information is out on the NET just waiting to be found and used one way or the other. I was fascinated to see how the old third ward was carved from the Second, and to know the actual conference and Representative who was brought in from Salt Lake. I was disappointed that I did not find any mention of Grandfather Harker during my hasty search but I did find references to Grandfather during his time in Cardston, Alberta, Grandfather’s parents who were huge sheep people in Canada and to some degree in Utah. That is until a severe winter storm killed jus about all of their flocks. Then I was sidetracked to a Boise architect, Ronald Thurber, an old religious instructor of mine. One of the only instructors I had any respect for. Thurber was different just about anyone I knew. I swear I thought for the longest time on was from San Francisco—Ron was cool and laid back and forward thinking for an instructor in the Boise Seminary system of the early 70’s. I guess Ron is still alive try as I may I could not find an obit for the guy so maybe I’ll call him relive some old times.

I googled cousins and others I could bring to the front of my brain. we are all connected now , more so then ever before. Some become frightened at the amount of information out “there”I don’t…I kind a of like it. My Grandfather is alive and well, not bad for being dead for over thirty years.

1 comment:

Camelia said...

Ah, the joys of Family History. I know all about that, seeing as how my Dad is the Director at the Joseph Smith Building and was previously the director at the Geneological Library downtown.

I spent many summers looking at micro-films.