Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Just Show UP--What I Do

I handle stress in my life by continuing to do the things of everyday life, the things I do everyday. I wake up, get up do my ADL's eat something get ready for work then head out the door. Its what I do and I usually do this pretty early. I just keep showing up to where I perceive I am supposed to be.

Following my accident it was returning to school not like I had an alternative but seemed everyone else thought I did have an alternative and I chose to return to my education. People would tell me how strong or brave I was which was always confusing. I just kept showing up for breakfast, lunch and dinner and life kinda of just filled in the space between the meals.

When I interviewed for my job at the independent living center. I came down from Blackfoot Idaho. The night before my interview an early Winter storm buried Salt Lake in 8-12 inches of snow bring the city to a stand still. The Center put me up at local hotel and I saw the morning news and heard about the snow but shrugged my shoulders and headed for my interview: its where I was supposed to be. I Was the only candidate to show up and the only staff member was my new boss, Maurice. I got the job. I never gave it a thought of not showing up because snow had fallen during the night.

Later at this job, I was closely involved with someone who embezzled a hunk of dough from the office I worked, this person always was working sat the same office. I continued to show up even though my showing up was extremely uncomfortable for me and those with whom I worked. I did not know what else to do.

Now, this last thing, the demise of my State position. The prospect not only of loosing my job but all the “sick” leave I have complied in the 12-13 years I have labored for the State—just showing up to answer phones. My “sick” leave is over 500 hours which if used correctly could help me make the critical bridge from work to Social Security which is going to be a couple years if I retire at 62, next February. Then there is the whole thing of competing for another job, being 61 years of age and starting over. I have been made the recipient of a couple of daily job dumps to my email account, Dianne tuned up my resume to where it ( I ) looks very sharp. But yesterday I found out that my boss has found a way to keep me on the payroll until my 62 birthday when I will be eligible for early retirement!! This is grand news but not yet a done deal, loose ends need to be tied, agreements need to be made and hand offs completed but at this time confidence is high for an acceptable conclusion for my end of job experience. But I think it will be OK though, I think I'll transition much smoother then most thought. I had not really expected anything different—I knew if I just continued to show up things would work out

No comments: