Thursday, April 05, 2012

The Little Things



Years ago I first came into this area, I came in this area to work at the local independent living center. The I L was a small organization in just about four people on the staff. We were pretty nimble as an organization, a private nonprofit which that we could do just about anything that we want to do. Of course from the first things I did was I came on staff was to set up an agency newsletter, a newsletter that would go out to not only consumers of the agency but to other private nonprofits state agencies serve folks disabilities as well. You know a folksy publication highlighting the agency, programs of the agency and some of the other things going on the community for folks with disabilities that you all serve. It's funny how often one sets something like a newsletter in motion it tends to take on a life of its own. Now been separated from the independent living center for over a decade now I'm more surprised at how strong the newsletter tends to be. It seems just to be run on its own course a lot of the newsletter's health and well-being is up to its current editor. Lucky for me, each editor the Wasatch Scope has had test taking great care of the document and even strengthened the document. So I was a little taken aback the other day I got Facebook message from the current editor of the Wasatch scope. What she wanted was an article for the summer edition on the demise of Access Utah Network and my thoughts about seeing the program go dark.

I of course jumped on this opportunity to pen a thousand, 1500 words on the conclusion of my job and perhaps more than that, the end of the significant disability support system in this community. Wow, this is like writing your own obituary – – maybe they'll even let me submit an image of myself. Spend 24 hours now since I agreed to to write this document am still not sure which direction to take. I am not angry, though some people think I should be, nor am I bitter. I just have to the whole thing rents course and come away with as little negative karma as possible. I'm sure the long run this is going to work out to be a positive thing in my life and a generator of positive karma. It's just get is that point that will be challenging. So, I'll write a paragraph or two of the beginning of Access Utah Network, couple paragraphs about my involvement with the program that conclude where I would like to see things go in this state in this area with disability information systems.

But I finding out is that it's the little things that are orbiting and swirling around the big things out there that bring the finest my attention that the position I currently hold will soon be gone. When they begin asking you for your obituary or how you found the last 13,14 years of your life to be in the work that you did then you begin to realize that you better get your cardboard boxes ready and you better start find out what's worth saving was worth throwing away as the sands of the our class are almost through and so are you.

No comments: