Thursday, May 03, 2012

By the grace of God there go I

At lunch, the weather was looking pretty good, sunshine warm temps and a brisk wind out of the South side figured what the heck I go this shop in downtown. I did I got the things I needed decide to stop Carl's Junior for lunch. I always think experience a Carl's Junior is going be better than what I anticipate. I'm not ready for is that at this particular Carl's Junior for the Salt Lake's hobo central. They have a great menu and it's relatively inexpensive as lunches downtown go except for the hobo element. And I know this sounds real elitist and I like to think I'm not (that kind of person ) but maybe I am – – and that's sad.

I am always blown away whenever I enter the downtown Carl's Junior, there is a mixture of white shirt and ties, working blokes wearing skull covers and work boots faded jeans and justice faded T-shirts or shirts and of course the hobos. Many times it seems like these folks made a mad dash from State Street to Carl's after they'd bagged enough enough to purchase any kind of lunch that would save them from Shelter food. Whenever I get there is always a line and I fall into line and begin trying to make up my mind before it's time to order. Today there is another power wheelchair and Carl's, but seen this guy before actually this gal – – she looks homeless but she has a mohawk haircut and hangs around with a guy who also has a mohawk haircut with about the same length as hers. We do that disability thing where we don't notice each other by noticing each other. She gives me in my chair the once over and thinks she has a faster chair – – I can tell. But she doesn't, she may have a newer chair, but not faster she has little so little Pronto's face on late-night TV the seniors and down outers. There's also hard-core Native American/Hispanics in here as well, I don't know if it's because of the largely Hispanic menu are those just downtown. I'm also impressed with the amount of Spanish speaking employees behind the counter being able service anyone who walks up. Carl's Junior has a breakfast menu which actually looks pretty good I've never used it but one day I might. I wonder how many of the hobos use it I imagine to be a pretty good caloric dump to the system to get to get you going on today.

As I sort of indicated a number of these individuals I have seen panhandling out on Main Street and State Street and in front of some of the larger high-end stores in the new downtown area. So the folks look pretty run down ratty tatty, and some look pretty good, all things considered. But I wonder sometimes is what I look like, with my long sleeved T to tight for me – – – really should not wear it, my backpack and maybe the power chair just wonder how many these folks think I am one of them. Oh gosh, there I said it, what an elitist remark I wouldn't blame you feel stop reading this blog after a comment like that. Today, I got grilled steak burrito sounds a heck of a lot better than it is, and one thing it really is his juicy. I really thought I had the bugger wrapped up tight but when I raised the burrito to my mouth slew of the burrito juice and oil came spewing out of it and over my T-shirt. There's no way I could have it had grease stains, red grease stains all over the front of me, I really did not look like someone who had a job but like someone who did not have a job one to have lunch. I took a moment and offered a short prayer to myself and Whoever being thankful that I was not one of those panhandling hobos… Truly by the grace of God there go I.


No comments: