Monday, January 25, 2016

Just Like Peter Pan




It's a pretty great Monday as far as Mondays go. I got up in the overhead harness in the parallel bars this is a pretty big deal for me cuz its been years since I've been up in parallel bars. It's kind of too because I used to get up in the bars all the time when I lived at home when I was a kid. My dad actually built a set of parallel bars that stood beside our house for the longest time and I would go out and pull myself up in his parallel bars at least one today.

The time in the parallel bars was not really productive and it's not like I really thought that spending time in the bars would allow me to walk again but there was just something about pulling myself up in the bars and standing on my own for however short a time I could do that and actually take steps up and down the parallel bars, that felt good that felt like I was doing something I need to be doing. Somewhere along the line I heard that the human body is best functioning when do the standing up, the human body is made to stand up in the upright position anyway. But I always felt better after time in the bars. Course this was all stuff I did on my own. It's not like a rehab therapist it's got me in the parallel bars because they knew it was worthless time for me in my immediate rehabilitation.

Time moved on and so did I and once I left the house where the parallel bars existed that was that. Every once in awhile I would find something I could drag myself up with like a couple of cars Parkway close together that allow me to standing between them are even sometimes if I transferred out of my chair on to a chair and put the wheelchair in front of me I can pull myself up and feel the stretch from a good stand. There's also time when swimming in the pool the buoyancy would allow me to stand to some degree and walk in the water again to some degree. Alas I don't get the opportunity to swim that much anymore which is a dirty rotten shame cuz there's nothing better for a gimp and water and good old water therapy regardless of the form.

I have been out this rehab facility now for about 6 weeks and all that time I've looked longingly at an overhead track used to Assist somebody , in a harness color, this was brand new,beautiful and worthless sense the item was shipped with the wrong harness system. As I understand it the system is in place since March when the facility opened what a waste. & I mentioned it a couple times and I mentioned that I would be interested in using it if it was available. I did not think 1 they ever get it fixed 2 I would get to use such a system if it did work. Well, my occupational therapist car Amanda said sure we get fixed you can use it.

Last week I was blown away by news that facility and finally acquired the correct harness for the overhead system. Today we used it. I'll bet it's been 30 years sense I've really been truly up instead of parallel bars and it showed. The only had that put on tons of weight but my legs and ankles and feet just or not prepared to sustain my weight but is strictly went through the motions. In fact Amanda and team worked with me like I was really rehabbing to walk again.
.
I think we used the system and the time as a justification for stretching. Whatever the reason I look forward to getting in the harness again in flying down the parallel bars just like Peter Pan, just like the old days. Like being young one more time.

No comments: