Monday, January 18, 2016

Short Comings and Goings

Darren is a dentist I met here at the SNF. darren is small in stature, he is here to have his replaced me rehabbed. I met him a week ago that she was cruising around trying to find a table in his wheelchair at dinner. He was pretty grizzly under a baseball cap and wearing the t-shirt. I had seen them around the facility earlier and wonder about who he was so I decide to join him at his table. I was kind of shocked to find out how easily we took up a conversation. I found Darren to be quite bright and interesting.

Darren took a medical retirement from his dental practice number of years ago, after being hit by a vehicle. I'm not quite sure the extent of what the trauma left him so I guess it was significant enough to close this practice which was going very well it seems like. He also had some sort of a smartphone like an iPhone or an iPad or something like that he showed me the dream home he was building in Montana. Montana?!! The place is beautiful in that rustic, house built of logs kind of way. I don't have a problem with a lock house as long as it has Access built into it for a person with a disability. In fact I did ask him point blank have you built access into his property but I don't think he understood what I was talking about as far as wheelchair access goes. Granted I know for knee replacement rehabilitation but still you're not going to be able body forever and this really should have been a wake up call to that fact. I'll let the issue drop for the time being and we won on the other areas. I was impressed with the images that he showed me on his smartphone. I figured he was rolling in dough maybe from this practice are from a lawsuit from the first accident or something. Only later on did I find out he's been building this house in Montana for some time and it's a one day at a time type project more so when he has the money he built on to the Project. Again I was impressed when Darren told me the House / cabin set on 60 acres of timbered land. Granted this land is in Montana and Darren made the purchase decades ago but still property is property and 60 acres is 60 acres.

We had meals together two or three times and each time we seem to have a great deal to speak about. And I have to be Frank where you it was good to have someone to visit with that wasn't an elderly person with dementia. This morning he welcomed me to his table but seemed somewhat concerned. No sooner had I got myself situated he launched into a discussion regarding a family member who is suffering from substance abuse. He informed me that he was probably going to leave rehabilitation and immediately go home to see if he can help with the issue that is household. You had some questions about support programs for people with addiction issues and I was able to direct him to 2-1-1 the local information referral line for all questions. I don't know how much this agency will help but you never know. In the course of the conversation I found out that this family member at all ready been through the YWCA program and I don't know other program she may have looked into. You seem somewhat scattered I was worried for him because if he left I would be back on my own with a bunch of seniors with various degrees of disability. I also did not envy Darren returning to home but I assumed he would do what he was going to do and I would support him on that level. He did you give me his email since I could not remember mine and I fired him off iMessage when I got back to my room after lunch so it would have my email. Later on in the day the admissions / medical coordinator stopped me in the hallway and asked me if I knew where Darren was. she asked if I knew what he had checked himself out. She wondered that because his room was totally barren Darren was gone. She needed to have him sign some paperwork .

 I hope he is okay, I think our paths were to cross for one reason or another. I hope you got one of the good operators at 211.

No comments: