Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Home Visit! :-)


Another week I have missed my Assist, Inc. meeting. I have mentioned in the past that I volunteer to sit on the board/advisory board for Assist, Inc.It's a minor responsibility that I've enjoyed being part of over the years. I'm the only male on the board the others are ladies who are even older than I. We meet for an hour each Tuesday morning and then take off and do what we have to do. I've not been to this meeting for six or eight months now since this whole stenosis thing took place. Dave runs the board is always made sure that I have space or place on the board whenever I did well enough to return. I'm well enough now that I could do the volunteerism. However I am now doing the outpatient rehabilitation and it seems our sessions have fallen either during my Assist meetings are soon enough afterwards that I would not be able to be home in time in downtown Salt Lake to do the rehabilitation I need to be doing. So I plan to put my volunteerism off yet another piece of extended time to see what happens.

Today was a home visit from my occupational therapist Casey. Casey is exuberant fellow bursting with ideas generally wanting to help wherever you can. Is actually a bit of a craftsman working with wood and loves to rip up solutions to problems whenever he can. I think we have a lot in common at least on the wood from the only difference is Casey actually has woodworking skills I do not. I almost feel guilty having Casey do this woodworking that he is volunteering for. Hopefully he can justify enough of it so that he can use his work time to manufacture the items he deems will assist me in becoming more independent. Today's meeting, for which he was late 30 minutes, ended with him having the idea to build a housing for my sticks that I use in dressing. Is actually going to manufacture a piece of furniture which will not only told by sticks but also close that I plan to wear that day. If he can whip it out like he says it would be a really nice piece of work. He also has volunteered to install the wall a device for my screen TV. Again, he uses a very broad definition of what he can do to help me in my independence. It's all right with me – – however like I said I feel a bit guilty.

Today was a home visit I did not have to get up early, did not have to drive in the rain and cool weather over to the facility for my therapy. I came out a winner all around. There was some talk about me doing transfers from my chair to the bed and back which certainly would be a workout. Needless to say, I got out of that. I don't know if that was a good move or not I need probably all the help with transferring and such. I'm going to start however focusing on transferring onto and off of my power chair to my manual chair which I really want to use a lot in the house. When I am in my power chair at the house I can do a lot more I believe it's just something like a sentence when I am in my manual chair because I can only do so much, range so far. The best of both worlds is when I can be in my manual chair and jump into my power chair when I need. Right now that's not such a big deal but it will be as the weather gets better and I can take off when I want to. It's also collectively need to be in my manual chair in the morning nebula ADLs I just have to be sure that I have the manual chair secured when I make my jump from bed to the chair.


I really like and the home visit I really think they come up with a lot of information and solutions for what my needs are – – even these I don't even know which I think that's what professionals are for.

No comments: