Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Routine

I've been home now for about four days and things are beginning to look better. I've been having difficulty transferring from the chair to the bed and that the chair but today I transferred all on himself from the bed to my powered wheelchair totally unassisted. This was a big first for me since coming home. I was actually rolling around the kitchen and had made coffee and Dianne got up this morning. I have the radio on listening to NPR and was begin to feel like my self and that was great. Last night we actually did toileting and a shower in the shower chair and everything perfect. It was frightening how well it went. I think we might be able to do it without home health for attendant care. Sometimes I get frustrated and wish I could be back just the way that I was but Dianne has given me the support and encouragement I need to feel successful.

Yesterday I really didn't do much as I was in the manual chair just trying to stay balanced and push myself around the house. We didn't have anywhere to go so it was low-key. But today things are getting done in the field fairly accomplished. We actually went to the outpatient Clinic and met my physical therapist and occupational therapist who are we working with the next bunch weeks. The clinic is just a few blocks away from my home and very easily managed with my power chair. Facilities are clean and well run and has all equipment I need to get back into my strength building programs. I am really excited that this facility has a Wellness type program which allows/encourages folks with disabilities to come in workout on their equipment free of charge! I mean and I was in the Wellness program from the University of Utah that program cost me $35 a month and had to travel all over the Valley to get to the place taking them to four hours of my day. Now I can do the same thing and get there and back in just about 15 minutes I don't think I could want more.

I really like my manual chair but I'm finding that perhaps I really can't use it anymore as effectively as I used to at least not right now. Perhaps, if I lose some weight and get my spastisity more in control I might be able to use the chair effectively again around the house. However for the time being it looks like my best bet might be my power chair which means it must be extremely careful around the house not take away from the work family is done over the last four months.


So little bit by little bit each day and developing a routine that that feels good.t all

No comments: