Wednesday, May 04, 2016

Extortion Plane And Simple!


Finally I will attempt to blog that has nothing to do with my current rehabilitation or disability. I know that strange but let's see if we can do it. One of the delights of my life is being able to do simple tasks around the house. I mean there really is not a whole lot that I can do. I don't mow the lawn, however I kind of help holding the electric cord to the lawnmower Dianne (who does mow the lawn) has an easier task. I don't or can't do a lot of stuff men traditionally do round the house. Appliance repair, cleaning the garage, house painting inside or out even things like changing light bulbs is out of my domain. However I can wash dishes. In fact I have asink which was constructed for me—built low enough for a wheelchair user to use. Dish washing is one of the activities I have missed most the past year or so I have been incapacitated or away from home. So, I was bummed when my sink began backing up: thick, grainy black ugly gunk from the bowels of the sewer. Dianne's sink was spared for awhile but eventually the big sinks were also backing up.

Dianne worked all the remedy's we have used in the past, boiling water, Draino and Draino clones by the gallon and of course the blue water snake but nothing would move the mass. Some times the sinks would empty overnight but always fill up when either of the sinks were used. We finally had to swallow the bitter pill and call the plumber! We use the Anytime Plumber guys. They are a bit more expensive but they're quick to respond, clean and nice. Anytime also seems to be honest and drive beautiful red trucks.


Yesterday my therapy day so I was gone when Tyrle, the plumber arrived—when I got there were tools everywhere. Tyrle and Dianne were at the table going over the options and probable bill. It was not pretty scene. Tyrle was on his phone calling base with his findings. Tryele seemed like a nice kid but Tyrle was only the messenger, the writer of numbers—the great decider would come later with final judgment. The great and terrible Nick. And true to Tyrle's foretelling great and terrible Nick did show up with a had written ledger with a number of bottom lines each way more expensive then the last. Nick seemed like a nice guy in an arm broker sort of way. Nick is stocky, quite broad but not fat. Nick is solved like a bouncer at a bar you don't want to mix it up with our miss a payment. He shaves his head so Nick has got this bullet Head being going on. Nick's sly he's been doing this for a long time knows how to put it across knows how to cross the bottom-line, at a push the buttons let the customer twist until just the right moment and then reel him in. He goes over each one of the option plans from the basic to the Cadillac. Then place the document in front of you like us full house hand of cards and wait for your decision. It's a bit of a racket I understand but still have to appreciate the finesse with which Nick pulled it off. He finally went over plans that went as high as $17,000 that they would be willing to contract out over time. He could tell we were not going to go for anything like that. It was then he suggested a much cheaper plan that he characterized as a crapshoot for cost infinitely less than the other options – – a crapshoot with the year warranty. We took it less than 500 bucks it look like a walk in the park comparatively speaking. So we made it through the day the wallet a little lighter but now it was gird up our loins the electrician comes on Thursday

No comments: