Thursday, May 05, 2016

You Are What You Eat – – Friday Musings


One of the largest challenges I face in my life is being overweight. I cannot believe how overweight I am. 60 years ago or even 50 years ago that you asked or told me that I was going to be overweight fat I would've told you you're up the night. There is no way I would be overweight as much as I am today. However life has a way of creeping up on – – meal after meal after that significant disability that truly challenges you as far as losing weight goes. I can probably blame a lot of people in a lot of situations for my condition of being fat but in the end I have to blame myself. I am the one who ate all the calories that make me who I am today.

My weight gain came to a head during my stay at the skilled nursing facility from November to March of this last year. I was served regular large meals. I did not realize what I was doing eating the way that I was, I kind of figured that they had a dietitian on staff who prepared our meals with weight gain in mind but boy was I wrong on that. I think I gained 20 pounds while at the sniff – –Then when I got to acute-care I realized what I had done and I counseled with their dietitian and developed at least basic weight reduction plan which basically was limiting myself to 1800 cal a day – – 600 a meal. And I have been maintaining ever since plus Dianne has me on probiotics which I'm not really sure what that is something is working. I have lost about 20 pounds since we started this regimen. It's kind of hard to be hungry all the time but the end result I'm sure will be well worth being constantly hungry. I'm going to try to maintain the diet for as long as I can if not for the rest of my life. I guess it's only natural to realize food is your enemy at some point in your life and take steps to minify the results of eating to the system. I know if I can lose a significant amount of weight my whole life we better i.e. dressing, toileting, transfers and appearance – – the whole 9 yards. It's hard though at least I think it is but really 600 cal is quite a bit once you get used to and don't fudge when family meals are involved. And not to forget the exercise piece. I'm fortunate to have a arm bike An upper gym. Now I just have to use them religiously.


I love to cook and actually I love to eat. I love to eat things that are good for me butter, turkey skin, bacon and eggs, steak and potatoes really things that make life worth living but really do you in.But this is the new me and this is the new life I have to live it's not like the old life and I have to accept that. This I can do.

No comments: