Thursday, January 14, 2021

Options

 



As the faithful reader of this document knows I am a creature of ritual, I love ritual those things that can me to reality. The closure of the work week: Friday. National holidays and vacations. This of course was more apropos when I was working but still I feel the need to recognize these events on almost an emotional level. The same holds true for primal basics such as morning coffee. I love the ritual of stumbling out of bed (my case rolling in the chair and getting myself situated) motoring into the kitchen to either turn on the coffee maker warming up yesterday's coffee or on those very special days measuring out and brewing a new pot. Just a great way to recognize the beginning of another day. I realize I am nowhere near the level of coffee if aficionado's many of my friends and colleagues are, who imbibe, but I know at least difference between white coffee and dark coffee, Italian or French roast coffees which are order when I do order coffee. I went to the stage of realizing there was a difference between fresh ground coffee and coffee does the ceiling can for weeks if not longer. I even got into the habit (watch out for that word) of purchasing being coffee grinding the coffee myself for that first grind flavor and feeling of decadence. Luckily, I don't have that fear or dread of realizing I've used up all the coffee in the apartment like cigarette smokers facing an evening or weekend without tobacco. Addiction has many levels in my caffeine addiction is relatively light. Still, I have to admit I felt a bit of anxiety this morning when pulling out of full carafe of coffee and then, inadvertently, slamming the pot down on the stone countertop and a big chunk of glass on the bottom of the coffee pot broke off and rich black fluid ran over the countertop and onto the floor before I moved the coffee pot over the sink.


What I said I didn't have severe anxiety, immediately in my mind I smiled realizing this is an excuse to go next-door order a mega cup coffee. Which I did. In the past I was spent hours if not days trying to figure out the cheapest way to remedy this problem. The problem of no coffee pot. I would've research the coffee maker to see what a replacement vessel would cost if they even made them. Then perhaps I would spend time and effort wandering through secondhand stores to see if they had the exact vessel I needed or if I feel like and find one that would work. In the back of my mind I knew what I needed to do was just go up to Walmart to pick up a new coffee maker entirely. Luckily, over the last couple years I've been playing with the idea of doing just that. So, whenever I was in the Walmart or Best Buy I would wander through their kitchen appliances and look at different machines and realize I can get fairly decent unit which meet my needs for under 20 bucks.


Today I spent at least an hour wandering up and down the aisle at Walmart looking at various coffee machines. Did I want a 5 cup machine is probably what I need but it just seems having access to 12 cups at one time one I really want. My major issue with the 12 cup coffee maker is the size. I love to have one that would go under my cabinetry but that doesn't seem to be the case for where I live. The 5 cup machine would do but I just couldn't bring myself to purchase so I went with the Black & Decker 12 cup coffee maker with a clock that works as does the mechanism that allows you to pull a coffee pot out while brewing for that cup of Java you need immediately. With the Black & Decker unit I could even program the system to brew coffee early in the morning before I get up. I've used this feature in the past and it's nice but takes a lot of commitment to do the process the night before at least I have the options.…

No comments: