Saturday, January 09, 2021

Oh No Sloppy Joe

 



Sloppy Joe's was one of the first meals I learned how to cook as a kid. All I had done the usual stuff in all cinnamon toast even started cooking stuff like fried eggs , breakfast stuff. Will actually know that I think about it we did do some campout cooking the four of us the Cantrell boys my older brother Ross. We used to campout a lot and we often cooked breakfasts which is usually make it eggs. I don't remember why or how I cooked my first batch of sloppy Joe I just remember that I did and from then on I thought that I had made the best sloppy Joe's ever. I must've used a recipe but I just don't remember. I do remember processing onion, green pepper them trying to meet all included. I even remember adding mustard, which I thought was counterintuitive, I think in that first recipe that even called for some brown sugar which I thought was really strange as well but I did it and totally enjoyed the results. I used cans of tomato paste but I have used over the years tomato sauce and even tomato soup. I'm sure over the years especially in college on those Friday nights, and dollar nights at the Bronco Hut, when we would scramble for I fast dinner before hitting the dollar pitchers we often mixed up a batch of sloppy Joe's.


For the past couple weeks I've kind of been craving sloppy Joe's which I think is kind of weird but still it is what it is. I've had a couple pounds of hamburger frozen waiting for something special. One of designated as the ingredients for my famous meatloaf and the other I had not designated trying to process whether I wanted tacos, hamburger pizza, hamburger enchiladas you can just do so much with hamburger especially good hamburger. I figure this is the week that I make sloppy Joe's. The big decider was a bag of hamburger buns on the sharing shelf yesterday a day before. Then yesterday as I was at the market I actually picked up a can of Manwitch. I thought I'd take a chance I've used canned sloppy Joe mix before the not been to impressed but the can of Manwitch called out my name and I selected a can of “Bold” Manwitch.. I was actually going to put the dinner together last night but I just ran out of energy. One of those Friday nights.Oh! I remember I didn't have potato chips that's what I wanted with the sloppy Joe's. I ended up making Parmesan potato planks which took all my energy.


The kitchen started out fairly clean, yesterday Melanie did a great job on the kitchen. I felt a little bad about messing the place up . A kind to cook this morning to, using the potato leftovers from last night. Need to spend some time washing dishes now. Anyway, I took the lead out yesterday so it was ready to go. I chopped up an onion as well as the green pepper – – I wasn't sure exactly what was in the can is far spices in such so I figured you ever have too much onion are green pepper one making sloppy Joe's. I was surprised how lean hamburger was. It was fun mixing day peppers and the onion in with the mix and then later the can of sloppy Joe ingredient. The end product wasn't bad especially for Saturday night. It was a good sign was able to open up tater chips without massacring the top of the sac. I even had a can of soda wash everything down. I don't know if I would use the can of mix again anytime soon. A kind of like my Joe from scratch a little better. But I will keep one can in the pantry for a fast mix if I need to, I always like to be prepared…


No comments: