Tuesday, January 05, 2021

Take A Letter…

 



I think I was 17 or 18 before I got my very own typewriter. This was the electric typewriter, and ancient piece of equipment that I have no idea where my parents picked it up. The typewriter had a huge carriage and it was electric– – I think it was on old Royal electric some sort. I had to have something like this because of quadriplegic could not handwrite stuff. The only typewriter in the house was a small portable typewriter of my mother's which was basically the families typewriter which is kind like mine since I was really the only one who ever wanted to use a typewriter. My mom typed like a secretary, she was great and she wrote. She actually wrote submissions with that typewriter, submitting pieces to the local newspaper The Idaho Daily Statesman for some column I think titled Over.Back Fence I think I was the only one in the family impressed that she got her self published on a regular basis that she even got money back the paper for her submissions. The typewriter was a little portable Smith Corona. It seems I typed in typed my finally and got access to that Smith Corona. People love my writing I doubt because of content as much as trying to read through the errors that I constantly caused with my typing, erasing and smudging from trying to lift the ribbon to do erasers or corrections and finally just giving up and typing madly to just type in trying to get my thoughts out.


I was delighted the other day when I checked my mail to find this envelope from my granddaughter BJ. She really is delightful and I am becoming more and more surprised at the how much my granddaughter tends to be more and more be like me. I've kind of noticed this with her mother and uncle but I have definitely begin this notice shared traits. For some reason this totally fascinates me. I was delighted, as I said, to get the envelope but totally surprised to see her typed letter inside. She had hand addressed envelope – – which is precious in and of itself – – I know how difficult these first letters on the manual or any kind of typewriter is especially at a young age, can be. Not familiar enough with the keyboard to really know where letters are – – having written that I got to thinking that may not be true for kids anymore growing up with computer keyboards. Still a manual typewriter, it takes significant finger strength to type one of these pieces of equipment.Still, I can see her struggle to get her thoughts out on paper. Just reading the letter reminded me how frustrating it is to type what seems like hours and seeing what seems to be little evidence of your efforts. I was quite tickled in the house she ended her letter indicating that she would write again (this is how I end most of my letters to her and her sister) next month. What an exciting promise for a grandparent to receive. I of course will not hold my breath but will be excited each time I check my mail to find one of those legal sized envelopes from Salem Oregon…

No comments: