Monday, January 04, 2021

Stampede

 





I'm not a major stamp collector by any means I never really developed a passion for stamps, now having said that I have to tell you that I do like stamps. Stamps I believe are one of my main reasons for writing letters so that I can stamp them and get them out in the mail. So collecting stamps I would never have the patience to do such a task. I think when I was a kid my older brother and I looked into stamp collecting writers couldn't figure out the “why”. I suppose there must be some sort of reward for finding a unique stamp but I couldn't get into it just as I probably could not get into coin collecting or any kind collecting for that matter.


I think I like uniqueness of stamps, I like the individuality of a certain group of stamps. I have learned to take pleasure in going down to the post office and searching through the notebook at the far end of the service counter where I'm always directed over somebody in the post office has the job of keeping the stamps some kind of order. It really is never any order. Who's ever over the stamp notebook that day flips through them and randomly hands me different examples. Sometimes, I hear of a new stamp being released I may go down expressly for that reason to pick up the new stamp but usually I just like to see what's new since I maybe go down to get stamps for five times a year (including the Christmas is of course). I recently sent off my kid letters for the month using the last of my Christmas stamps. I have a hodgepodge of other stamps now like the Dragon collection, U S space program, and many many more. I even play this game (this sounds familiar and made written about this before hope not) I always check my mail and I'm surprised at how many pieces of mail I get that has stamps which have not been canceled. Of course see this as free stamps for the harvesting. I think I have written about re-utilizing envelopes certain businesses and government agencies send out to return to their address after a document has been filled out or whatever. I used to scratch out the return address and write my own address on the envelope and send it off and curiously the mail went through. I loved thinking I got one over on the system. Of course, it's a bit of a challenge taking the stamp off the envelope. I use the age-old method of clipping the stamp off the envelope soaking that clipping and water until the stamp separates from the paper. I then drive to stamp the a little glue affix stamp to the letter I plan to send out. I know it's sort of tacky but we do what we have to do to get through this pandemic. I recently got this huge envelope in the mail from Dianne we used a bunch of stamps and luckily for me a couple were not canceled and they were great stamps. I had not seen the pics stamp before. That stamp is so cute I may just keep it in my stamp box which is sort of also my treasure box after all it's a pig stamp…

No comments: