Tuesday, January 26, 2021

A Cold Adventure

 



This is turned out to be an epic day and by epic I mean filled with stuff. Of course I'm conflicted as to what was the bigger of the two events: taking ownership of the new patient left or sitting through two hours of wheelchair evaluation at Tosh rehab facility. Either way the day was cold and snowy. Thank goodness the snow was not picked and heavy and driving, as snow storms can be at times.


I had to be at my chair eval at 10 o'clock over and Murray. I'd stayed up later than I thought but I still figured I had enough time to charge my chair (which I did for almost 8 hours) adequately but not to the point where the green light was on showing that it was fully charged but I figured I had enough power to get done what I needed to get done today which is basically catching the 47 over to Murray and ruling over the Tosh. I did of course I was worried a little bit but not too much. I was so pleased to made all my connections and buses missing just one which I really didn't the driver just chose not to stop for me because I wasn't exactly at the bus stop at the exact time.


It was great seeing my old occupational therapist Casey. The evaluation for the power chair was pretty extensive almost 2 hours in length which I think is amazing. I'm going to get basically the same chair but the new version which is okay. The big difference will be this chair will have a lifting mechanism which will actually lift me up 6 to 8 inches I guess which should make things a lot easier around the apartment and things like shopping which is kind of exciting. I really tried to push for the larger motors. But it looks like that's a no go even if I want to pay for them myself, which used to be an option but not anymore. In fact the vendor doesn't even make a chair that goes 8 miles an hour any longer. The kind of bums me out I would figure out a way to find an extra couple thousand if I could get the big motors for my next chair. Seriously, if you're living out of your power chair and mature main form of transportation getting back and forth to bus stops, food markets in everything else you you should chair for you need to get a little speed for the long roles just to be sure. I think it's stupid I can't have the option to buy my own motors but we'll see. Were only in the beginning phase of this new acquisition. Now that we've gotten the document written up my occupational therapist will submit to my insurance agencies within will make the decision. Spend more than five years since the last chair so I think I'm good to go.


I was pretty cold by the time I got home but I figured I would work out on my bike since I was almost a half hour short from yesterday's workout. I was halfway through when Carl knocked on the door he had picked up the patient-lift . I have to confess I'm experiencing a little buyer's remorse but not much even though I doubt I can use this new lift at the present time. Carl's working on the problems and hopefully one where the other will be able to get some sort of lift option operational. I don't know what tomorrow will bring as far as what staff will say when the lift doesn't really seem to be working. The sling on the new left is the wrong kind it has no openings for suppositories and him placed on the toilet and such. Carl has an idea and I have found what might be the appropriate slings on eBay. The cheapest I found was $175 but just want to invest that kind of money for don't know if it'll work rightly on the device will have to see.


I think overall the day was a success. I did acquire a lift but seems to be operational at least more so than the one I have now and I got the paperwork nearly finished for my new power chair. Kind of crazy. Right now I kind of have a good feeling about this new lift I just don't know how soon I can get the whole thing resolved but I think it will be eventually and I will be totally happy againsomeday soon

No comments: