Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Hurry Up and Wait


Old Jazzy patiently waiting to go home.
Ms Candice Mazzo MPT came by the house last night. She is the physical therparist the insurance folks sent over to judge my worthiness in getting a new power (Jazzy) wheelchair; a very interesting process. This is the first time I have tried to get something as expensive as a power wheelchair from my carrier. Up till now I have used my insurances for the traditional items as tooth repair, MD visits, drugs and the occasional manual wheelchair chair. Now, however, feels like I am going up to the big leagues! So, strange, that my insurance carrier would send this professional over to do this evaluation of my physical condition. MPT Mazzo was a doll though and she brought her one year old with her. Now, one must realize that when Ms Mazzo first called it was last Thursday night and she wanted to come over Friday night for the evaluation. There was no way this was going to happen, with the house being in the throws of end of the week entropy, did not sound like Saturday or Sunday was an option either so I requested she come on Monday evening—which she did. The house looked OK, I was a bit stressed that she might let her daughter wonder on the floor but as it was Mazzo kept the baby with her the entire time. I was surprised at how enjoyable the process was, This young P.T. was pretty enamored with this fossil of a crip ( 40 ,years post trauma)who spoke her lingo, was actively working and wanted to continue to do so and all I needed to pull this off was a good word or two from her( gotta love the medical model) and the chair would be mine—still, must exercise patience. Yes, the experience was enjoyable, selling myself for 45 minutes. The child was beginning to melt down and I could sense the P.T. wanted to get out of the house and back to her life. I bet she would have promised me anything to end the interview, pack up and leave. She essentially did this too. “ I think I can write this up so you will get your power chair.” Cool. Now just wait for the processing.

No comments: