Thursday, June 02, 2005

Back In The Race!


Race


I used to work at the local Independent Living Center (ILC). I worked there for over ten years. IL is a philosophy, a way of life almost a creed. IL and the ILC is also a place to work, usually a private non profit a a place where people with disabilities can hang, get services and advocacy and re-integrate back the “system”. Anyway, the ILC like private non profits every where they need money to survive and 15 years ago they started the “run and roll” a 5K fund raiser. I have pushed the race a couple of times but not in at least 8 years. Five K is not very fare, just a couple of miles but for me the push really wore me out. I have not pushed the race since I started using my Jazzy. I know, it is sort of a joke to use a power wheelchair to race but why not? I spoke with my buddy Al, who organizes this race, and he indicated that there is now as many power chairs in the race as runners so I will not look too out of place. I usually do not do the race obviously, but when I was visiting with my boss this morning she mentioned that her and her husband were racing so I figured why not? Maybe it will be fun and maybe I can get accrue comp-time and hang with my old buds.

Still waiting for the new power chair and computer.

No comments: