Monday, June 06, 2005

Working Till I Drop

I just got off the phone with my buddy Mack, from the (State) Mental Health Association—what a fun and crazy guy. We used to work in fairly close proximity to each other and later closer when he became Ex. Dir of his own operation. He has a small operation and works low under the radar to bring about good changes for his constituency very similar to my agenda. Both of our spouses are very ill to the point of having to require almost full time Rehab intervention. My D- is going to have to resign her position which has resulted in great stress. We are State employee which means we have state retirement plans. D- and I figure if we cannibalize our retirement accounts we should be able to survive for at least a year…if we are careful. I have not really built up a lot of retirement, not like what I have acquired is not enough to really provide any type of “real” retirement. So, I have always figured I will have to work till I drop dead probably right at my desk. Mack said essentially the same thing, he will work till he drops dead too. Perhaps this is best the alternative of waking up each day with nothing to do and suffering through till sleep takes me at the end of the day and to go through that each day till the Reaper shows up at my door. And perhaps this is the best way to live a life, to make it full with every minute counting.

The rain came back today with a vengeance. I had to fill up with gasoline this morning and decided to drive in today. The rain seemed torrential this morning and I appreciate having the vehicle. Summer seems to be having a difficult time finding it’s way to this town.

No comments: