Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Why do I Even Try


Today is the annual “Tissues” conference. Tissues is the state wide organization quasi think tank which develops policy and legislation for the low-income of our fair state. I am there passing out information doing Outreach. It is the first dress up event I have been to since I invested in a couple of new sport jackets. I have had then for nearly a year now but have never worn them. So today is the day I can and I did. I chose a white turtle or mock turtleneck. I should have known better but I could not help it. There I was white under black with full frontal exposure to the public. I tried everything from the moment I put on the shirt till I got to the conference. I just sipped my coffee. I had two cups at the office before I went to the conference with no problem. I became confident, I became over confident and tried the same thing with a Styrofoam cup; that was my mistake. In just once second, not thinking, I goosed my power chair and the coffee sloshed from my cup I was holding in my mouth to my white mock turtleneck shirt. Now, I look totally stupid with nothing to cover with. The coffee stain is too huge to be covered by my nametag. Angela at the office said not to sweat it, just pull the jacket over and this will cover the spot. She maybe right…it’s the only alternative I have. I must accept the fact that I can only wear darks, preferably black…what the hell was I thinking? What or who do I think I am?

1 comment:

Mama Mouse said...

Don't fret about the spill ... I did that for YEARS ... having learned from my mother. I have finally stopped the dripping action so much ... but now my dh has started and has surpassed me by far! Can't take him ANYWHERE .... even to our son's wedding where he spilled yet again. I swear ... I'm going to start carrying a super sized bib with me when we go out!