Saturday, June 25, 2005

There and Back Again

The day began, as a beautiful family reunion day should warm, and blue skies and general chaos. We slept in and were running late but we swung and picked up Ani and were South Bound There was a little bit of drama with the wheelchair lift but we got loaded and were south bound. Most everyone was there except Linda who had a cruised or something. Chaos was at a minimum and visiting was going well. We down loaded and the fam seemed pleased to see us. There were two cousins who made it from then Seattle area. Bruce and Raymond. They are both older then me but I was quite taken with them the first I had ever met them back in the sixties. They were too cool—skateboard riding beach boy clones. The years had been cruel to them as I but were good to see them. Aunts, uncles, brothers and sisters were all there. Hot dogs, corn dog’s potato salad and pop. I have images to hare but I cannot locate the camera, which worries me a bit, but I am sure the camera is here somewhere. Mom tried to gain control of the event but was difficult but he managed to have a kid auction when, surprisingly went over well once the kids understood what they were supposed to do. Mom brought a box full of nick knacks: old yo-yos, assorted toys, hopscotch marker, bag of marbles; things, which collect in drawer over a lifetime. The kids bid with change collected from the grown up before the event started, 25 cents was the high limit. The little guys really thought it was cool. I was genuinely surprised. Everyone was impressed with my new power chair. I did my best not to go into my diatribe about how much the chair failed me in the speed department. They would not understand. They never have I doubt they would now.

Storms blue in like clockwork. Three hammered the event while we were there. Black menacing clouds fire microburst after microburst accompanied with rain driven my winds coming in under the pavilion SIDEWAYS at times. Tables were swept clean by the wind gusts, plastic containers were whirled away. This was following by clearing and heating only to be brushed away again two more times. After the last rainstorm, the fam decided to regroup at my mother home. Dianne’s back was killing her and we needed to get going. We made our goodbyes and finally took off about 3:30 ALMOST GETTING KILLED JUST ONCE! The semi I was following started to brake suddenly. Luckily, I still had my wits about me and I decelerated immediately when I saw the smoke billowing from his wheels. I remained alert for the rest of the journey home pondering the effect of what could have happened. We would have been fodder for the Fox News at nine and later at 10:00 for the other networks. We would also be a dark spot for all the rest of the reunions, which would follow. Well, Shelly just rang I better go. Check back tomorrow. I will try to get some images loaded.

No comments: