Saturday, July 02, 2005

500 Words for a Saturday

I spent the late morning and most of the afternoon driving my new power wheelchair allover the neighborhood. I was given directions by the tech who looked At the chair yesterday to charge the chair all night then drive the chair till you run the battery down then they might see where the problem lies. So there I am out on the tarmac in 90+ degree weather driving all over south Murray. I wonder to the PC Club, the video store, CompUSA then I cross the street and travel East a couple of blocks to my brother house the over to the Mall and cruise round inside for a while, actually a pretty long while. While I was cruising round some of the smaller “strip” malls I ran into one of my current peeves. This peeve is merchants who move their wares out onto the sidewalk blocking it for someone using a wheelchair. I have to back track till I find a curb cut or ramp to the street level then go round the obstacle and get back on path. I captured an image of such a access violator “grrr”. I should send the image to Murray City and see if the city would cite the owner for an access violation! I saw this happen at the Mall too especially Sears with their lawn mowers lawn furniture and all manner of other junk just to raise my ire.

The battery Life indicator showed I was indeed sucking down the juice. I stopped in at ShopKo and got the alcohol. Then I stopped at Pier 1 to start my Christmas shopping. Actually I am looking for ideas for gifts for this Christmas season. I figure if I start now this will greatly lessen my stress level d come out with some pretty decent gifts come December. I finally did get home but by then my power indicator lights were flashing on the last space meaning battery failure was imminent. All this time I was truly unconcerned. The tech told me to do this. The tech even assured me that if I should truly drain the batteries I could just call and they would come out. In fact the tech said this would be ideal because then they would be able to see where the power drain was. So I was out there trusting. I got home with blinking lights, actually one light blinking. I called the shop and I get a recording. THEY WERE CLOSED FOR THE HOLIDAY!! This ment to me that if indeed if I had drained the chair out one the street I would have been in a world of trouble but I was too hot to even get pissed off. I was just glad to get home to my central cooled house and lots of water. So now I don’t know whether I should charge the sucker up or wait till Tuesday and let them test it as is. The tech is coming to my office so I shall have to charge up to get in to work. That’s ok, though because it the chair will have dissipated enough power to show that that batteries are just not holding a charge the way they are supposed to.

No comments: