Sunday, July 10, 2005

I Hate Wearing Hats


My DI Hat Posted by Picasa

As a rule I hate wearing hats the brim of the head piece always blocks my view and is joust annoying—so, I just don’t wear them. Well, that’s not completely true. I well wear those “English” type hats. I wear them back wards and think I look cool. I can honestly say that I do wear caps to hide the fact I am bald. I found out a couple of years ago that wearing caps, hats keeps me either warmer in the Winter and cooler in the Summer. I cannot believe how much heat is dissipated through the head. Anyway, I have been with out my van because of the wheelchair lift off and on for a month now. Dianne dropped the van off the first of the week to have the beast safety inspected, it was finished on Friday, and I had enough over time hours worked that I could leave the office a lunch. I had a meeting “out” then I was on my own. My goal Friday was to get my vehicle, then drive over to DMV and get the tags for the plates and go home. I took the train down to 45th South station leaving; me to go the rest of the way ( 3 blocks) in the power wheelchair. By this time the outside temp was hitting 95*. The was not unbearable but it was not pleasant either. I finally buckled and stopped off at the DI( Deseret Industries, local faith based , second hand store.) I found a great hat for .25. I was pleased and did not care at this point for the comfort and protecting the cap gave. I arrived at the shop with little issue, looking good in my new hat. I got the van and was on the road again. The lift still does not work properly but I can get by till I can get a new(er) one. ( I have a plan working now which should address this issue in the short near future. I will tell you more of this shortly).

The heat was intense by the time I arrived at the DMV. I was moving in slow motion, drinking bottled water I have stashed in the van and making sure I am presentable. I double-checked to make sure I had the safety inspection forms and anything else I needed. When I arrived in the building I was pulled aside by the RAC (Rent A Cop) wearing a glock! I was not sure what to think but the guy was smiling like I had just won the sweepstakes. I just wanted to “snake” the line, get the tags, and get gone. But smiley was not going to let that happen.

RAC

Hi welcome to Department of Motor Vehicles—are you renewing your plates or registering a new car.

ME

(with great caution)

Ah, I am just renewing my plates.

RAC

That’s great sir—just follow me over to booth 4. April will be back from lunch in five minutes and will get you taken care or…can I get you anything while you wait?

Normally, I would have resisted such attention but the line for “renews” was long maybe even hours long. This jump o the head of the line stuff offends me but then again I am not stupid. So RAC pushes me right to the front of booth 4. I am know I am sitting there looking like an idiot but there I am. I wait for about three minutes then Judy comes over and informs me that she is not April but she can help me and does, and soon I am out of there. I have never had such attention from the DMV. I can only assume it was my hat.

No comments: