Sunday, July 24, 2005

Saturday night

We did fireworks last night just Di and me and it was great fun. Concerned that Di’s back was an issue we decided to wait ‘till later and take the train into the city for the event. Galavin Center, no charge and the fireworks culminated a day long cultural festival. It was a perfect evening, none of the storms forecast showed ns the night was pleasant in the mid 80’s. We were both shocked in that we were the only ones riding the train till we got closer to downtown.

Saturday night downtown was calm, a bit sedate but OK. A person would think on a Saturday night anywhere, and on a holiday night with warm temps, live bands and people mingling there would be more tension and a bit faster pace. I guess the fact the whole plaza was a no alcohol zone may have something to do with it. I am sure there was much more action little further North in Boise where Jaialdi 2005 is going on. It was nice though, lots of different cultures were represented. When Di and I got there was Salsa bands playing a lot of milling bout. I have to admit there was dancing on the plaza and all seemed to be having a good time; lots of strollers, and kids with those glow stick like hoops and circles and parents looking a bit tharn. At this point in the even everyone was waiting or the fire works which were suppose to start at 10:00 pm but this was not to be. A number of folks had parked their vehicle on the parking terrace directly under the “blast zone” the area where the fireworks were to explode. They towed the cars which seemed to take for ever—people did not mind. The bands filled in the time and when the bands were not playing local DJ’s from area stations filled the air with radio babble thinking they were doing some sort of verbal crowd control. Now, that I think of it I don’t think I saw any of Salt Lake’s Finest , they seemed to be conspicuously out of sight. I saw a couple security(rent a cop) but they were more interested in eating then crowd control.


The fireworks were finally launched, I was surprised at how close to the ground the fireworks actually explode. They lunched the fireworks right in the dead center of downtown so the viewing area is surrounded by local buildings for what goes for “sky scrapers” in Salt Lake and many of the fireworks the exploded not higher then many of the buildings. The show itself seemed short and a little lite but hey the show was free, we took public transit and we enjoyed ourselves. The entire plaza population vanished as the smoke cleared following the finale. No lingering or anything just gone and then so were we.

Today is the 24th of July-A major event for Utah—sorta of the state founder’s day. However, it will not be celebrated today except in worship services around the state. Tomorrow is the official celebration: parades, races, picnics and more fireworks. I am off work for the rest of the week too. I really don’t like vacations but I force myself to take time off and on but I think I will enjoy this time. So, anyway, Di and I are going to wait a good part of the day catching up on movies at the free movie theater.

No comments: