Thursday, July 07, 2005

It’s Time

I have had to make a decision. I have to get another lift for my wheelchair van. My current lift is ancient and has reached it’s limit of repair. I am hoping I can take it to my brother and he can “mend” the lift yet another time and keep me going but I doubt Carl is going to be able to provide another miracle. I am finding that my power chair is not enough. I was able to make the presentation this week and I can continue to make presentation round the city as long as where I am going has adequate public transit. I am running into more and more obligations which are either after hours or out of city making it impossible to get to in a power chair or independently. I have a dinner I am supposed to attend Saturday with the Russian delegation . The dinner is at a private persons home and is way over on the west side. I am not going to try to get to the dinner via UTA and I was hoping my van would have been repaired and ready to use when I made RSVP on Tuesday. I will probably miss the dinner now.

I have been putting out feelers all day. I am looking first for a used lift to replace the existing lift in my van. I hate to do that but I cannot in any way afford a new lift $5,000.00 installed. I have called the old stand-by folks Mobility Solutions. They are doing great business and seem to have some leads on some good used product. I have also spoke with some folks I know who work with the State and they may have some programs which might help a little too. If I can get a loan with zero or low interest I might opt for a new lift. This would be best but I am not going to hold my breath. Either way, I am going to have to do something, Hey if any of you know of a free wheelchair lift let me know.

The good news though, is the van has passed inspection and I just have now to get the beast licensed. The van runs great looks good and if nothing else we have ramps in the van if we need to pull the lift and use the ramps with the manual chair. So there are always options.

It’s hot now, ninety degrees easy. I love it though. The chair is working very well, I have about come to grips with the lowered speed convincing myself that having the added torque is a worthwhile tradeoff. I am still having issues with the batteries which will not hold their charge long enough to let me conformably cruise the city with the confidence I would like. The tech is due out tomorrow. He will bring a new set of batteries( if the batteries come in) and change out the old ones. Then we’ll see how will this address the battery life issue. I still would feel the most comfortable with the on board system

No comments: