Friday, August 05, 2005

Call 211 !

I just looked at the clock: it’s 2:35 and I am off at 3:00 today and I have not written anything. I am alone in the back today. CC called in sick, the boss took off to England this morning and the other staff have disappeared into their random Friday meeting. I worked through lunch yesterday and today so I have 2 hours to burn and I gone soon.

My rant today is lazy ass consumers who see our 800 number listed in the Blue pages of the phone book—and do not read enough to see we are a disability specific I&R( or even care). They just see we are a free call for them and so they call asking information about other state operations and programs. The one just I just got through with was someone who just found his State tax return buried on his desk and wanted to know if the tax was still cashable. Duhh!!! It’s a State check! So he wants the agency who could tell him of his checks validly which in this case I guess is the State Tax Commission. Usually this does not bother me too much unless I am swamped with other calls. I usually do what I did today and grab my State directory and give him the closes number. Many times the caller will wine because there is not an (800) number listed but they what do you want from a Dis only I&R…they are lucky to get what they got. So, I am sitting here taking calls for the Council as well as for Access and it gets frustrating. I guess I should look at the trade off which is I have the whole office to myself, it’s quiet and I am leaving early on a Friday.

No comments: