Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Waiting for Mr Ed


My new office system came in yesterday.. I am trying not to get excited because we cannot touch the boces till State I.T (Information Technology ) can show up to set the systems up. My partner and I have been upgraded and are being set up this Friday. I have been working this loaner HP from Center for People with Disabilities, up in Logan , for past three years. This was loan from my Buddy Marty. This equipment loan enabled our office to not have to order new equipment for a couple of years. But since Christmas my HP has began to slow down significantly and when I need speed to search for information to feed my callers, this system has become more and more a liability.. Two mo ths ago we kicked round some numbers in our budget and decided that we could upgrade. I am continually amazed at how the price of hardware has dropped in the past two years. Hardware is dirt cheap. We got a great deal so I should have significant speed, storage and capeability. I think I am going to loose my Iomega Zip drive but OH well, again, drives have become more and more common and inexpensive. I can get those bullet storage devices for very little money, even less if I watch for sales or scan the INTERNET. I would like to get a small storage device of about a gig or so just to be able to carry some big files mpg or music files.

The biggest drawback of getting a new system is the transferring of information from the present system to the new system. I hate to do it with IT right here, so many times they love to supervise the transition. Then they frown , glare or even reprimand as you begin porting all the items not allowed on a state system like music files, mpeg, game and what ever. So, I have to clean the hard drive, back up on zip files and burn to cd-rom and decide what I want to carry to my new over to my new univerise. Mr Ed is coming on Friday to do the set up ...I have work to do.

No comments: