Monday, August 29, 2005

Just Pisses me Off!

My new system returned to day and the sound card is working just fine. I could have lived with out the sound card working but there are meeting which are sometimes broadcast over the INTERNET that I do need the audio working. So, I guess I am set. I need to load some of my sound files now and give the system a real test. I still have to load some other pieces of software to make my system complete. I even got Ed to switch my zip dive from the old system over to this system. I just have to keep all the garbage I have inherently installed over the life of a system I use. Really makes a mess of my desktop and I am sure really drags on the system. I am sure I have all sorts of things running in the background I don not need.

There has been something that has been ragging on me for the past week. I have tried to let it go but the incident seems to be hanging round inside my head so maybe if I blog it the anger might exercise it self. Anyway, as you all know I work a small phone room answering disability questions. I One of the calls I get time and time again is from consumers or their state agents wanting to know where they might get financial assistance for the purchase of a specific piece of durable medical equipment. Many cases it is to purchase a wheelchair van, a vehicle which has either a lift or ramp with which to load a person in a wheelchair directly into the vehicle. If thesde vehicles are being purchased new, or from the factory the cost is, in my estimation, monstrous. The price for a vehicle with these capabilities is not so bad if they are buying a used , vehicle which has been converted. The price dives even more significantly if the family or individual is welling to purchase a vehicle more then a decade old and a larger van like a 1980-1999 full size van with a wheelchair lift. These sell, decked out, for lress the $2,000.00. This is a real deal, I don’t what price gasoline is. So last week I get a call fro a consumer, a mom who just got a power wheelchair for her very young daughter. She realizes she will no longer be able to get the kid round in the Subaru. She wants to know what is the program which will buy her a new accessible vehicle. I tell, here there is really not such a sugar daddy out “there” who will pop for such a thing. I know of a couple of out fits who will loan money at a low rate to help with such an acquisition—I actually sit on the board of that group. Independent living will help people with disabilities too but the process is arduous and takes a very long time start to finish. These are the traditional routes there maybe other programs out there but I have not really heard of them as yet. If there were such programs I would have heard and I have not heard of any.

A couple of days later I get called by the lady again and she indicates that I should know of some other options because she has been talking to one of the directors of one of the local private NON-PROFITS and that director told her that I should and did know of such organizations.!! The director guy made it sound like I was lying to her. What really pisses me off this guy is the director of one of those private-profits which fund raises like tons of dollars from “cry-a-thons” and other national fund raisers, raising literally millions of dollars annually but they never have enough to buy their consumers a power chair or lift-equipped van and foist their consumers on what little State programs might be out there. There used to be money out there but that money has long dried up with the current Administrations.

There I don’t know if I feel any better but it’s out there for what it’s worth. If she can find a better deal they grab it—how Iococca.

1 comment:

riptideselkie said...

ha believe me i get this sort of thing all the time, agents and what not will promise our customers things that we just don't have and then oc's call wanting to know why said service isn't showing up on their bill, or why their bill was a zillion dollars , when they should have had said service, and i get the fun mess of explain that no there isn't such a thing, no there never was such a thing and as yet no such thing exists. Then of course i get the "well, Mr.X told me so" luckily i at that point am allowed that they are welcome to make their complaint to that person.