Tuesday, August 09, 2005

To The Bat Cave




Never let it be said that the Gateway office building is not interesting—The Gateway is, of course, my building, the building where my office is located in downtown Salt Lake City. I like the place, a block away from the Trax line and just blocks away from anywhere downtown Salt Lake. I can get to any good restaurant in Downtown Salt Lake over my regular lunch period.

Other staff in my office does not feel the same way about the Gateway I do. In fact they hate the building. The way they talk the building has noxious odors as well as building mates and all manner of weirdo’s. My office mates would love to move to anywhere but here. I doubt that is going to happen anytime soon but you never know. This morning shortly after 8:00 a.m. (I had already been in office for almost an hour.) Staff from one of the upstairs office entered the office and demanded that we contact the building engineer (building head janitor) and have him cover over and forcibly remove a bat from their office. That’s right, a flying, sonar carrying, mammal hanging upside down off of one of their office chairs! There is nothing that strikes terror in the hearts of staff as the unusual, something which does not fit into the picture and a bat in the office of a private non-profit hanging upside down of a piece a furniture fits that vision for me. I have all day tried to figure out hoe this event even could have happened.
This is a typical office building dully carpeted, florescent-lit rooms with false ceiling. One theory is the bat came in and some ho got into the false ceiling and descended from there I do not buy that. Batman, to get to the second floor, must first enter the building from either the front of back doors. These are fairly heavy doors and can only be opened manually or with the electronic buttons for people with disabilities to open the door independently. There seems to be some speculation that maybe the night janitorial staff may block the doors open while the carry garbage out of the building. The beastie could have accessed then but still it would have to tke the elevator up stairs to office. Maybe the janitors open up stairwells and prop the doors open, a way to get better air circulation. I kinda of lean this way but still a lot conditions have to be met. Then there is the other glaring questions bats seem a lot like mice…DUH!!! Bats are mice with wings an when I lived on the farm a common expression was “If you can see one there are ten more in the barn or what ever.” So, now the current crises is just how many flying rodents are there? Well we see more as the temps drop as we near winter? Are staff going to be bit, develop rabies and run through on all fours wait to find someone else to bite? Maybe now would be a good time to put a point on some of my broken sticks I have laying round the office and keep some garlic in my top office drawer—this job is never dull.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your post was forwarded to me, and I'm quite sure the bat intentionally chose the gateway - lots of critters on which to feast! :-)

riptideselkie said...

Oh dear!
why can't things like this ever happen in my office. That would be neat. People spend too much time freaking out over little things. (not that i can be too judgemental as i'm still afraid of the dark) One time on on of our many trips to or from Salt lake , we had been taking a nap late at night at a stop off the free way and as we reentered the free way a giant flying object bounced off the windshield, scared us all to pieces. guess it was ok tho cause i remember looking in the rearview to see a shadowy blob flying away.