Thursday, August 11, 2005

Gimmie a Break


<---Neck broken right there in the C-4,C5,C6

I

I broke my neck back in 1966 so long ago now it seems mythical, kike a story I have heard so much that it seems real--but in fact, it IS REAL! But no problem I was young then. I got on with my life. I came out of the ordeal OK. I got out of Viet Nam and I got my college paid for. The trade off was worth it. I think. Now almost 40 years post I am beginning to sense the "other foot" dropping. As I wonder I wonder into my "twilight years" I move slower, fall more frequently and hurt like Hell! I have been plagued all week by a sharp jabbing pain radiating from the cervical area of my spine, more specifically where I image the fusion of the of the neck fracture is.

Seriously, I thought I had been through enough. I have this weird theory that one person get a certain amount of grief in their life and that is it. You accept this grief and get on with life and everything else will be coo. WRONG! What I know now is: the pain just never quits. So now i have some decisions to make and first an foremost is find a doc that I trust and get myself checked out and go for it. The problem is, I hate doctors-not the docs personally but the medical model--and delving back into system scares me to death( great pun). Worse case scenario would be having to have my neck fused all over again and success of this procedure is questionable that is the successful part of course un successful part is death and that is never any fun.

I have been moaning and groaning all round the house since Monday. D --has been really supportive and I have truly appreciated her being there. How ever, I sensed I am growing on her nerves when I balk at her suggestions that I contact my GP and ask to have my neck X-rayed and ask for the appropriate intervention...just like that; like ordering a pizza or book. D really is great she treats medicine as a true consumer. I on the other hand treat medicine almost with a religious mysticism. Religion scares me to death too. So, in order to motivate me to the point where I call, make the appointment and drive all the way to my docs office 3000 east and 6000 South, along way away the pain has to be severe. The pain is not to the point yet. I am managing the pain now with Ibupropin 400 mg BID. This gets me through the workday and again through the night. The pain is on and off and I feel it beginning to intensify. D—in growing exasperation, suggests “You’d better get it taken care of before…”

“Before what!!!?” I scream but she is already out of the room and I realize the hanging question mark is c challenge for me to get myself taken care or or stop whining . D is right. I had better grow-up, bite the bullet and get myself fixed. IT may not be as bad as I am making it up to be. Or maybe IT is.

2 comments:

riptideselkie said...

amazing how much alike we are sometimes. i have this weird double vision thing going on. has been for a while but im still functional and everything, it's mostly just annoying and finding a docotor is a hassle. Could be a sign of something bigger tho, so i suppose should be adult about it and go see someone. Seems sometiems tho that that just uncovers things i really didn't want to deal with. Tell you what, if you'll go , i'll go.

Meadowlark's Mind said...

Imade an appointment for a week from today.l