Wednesday, April 19, 2006

I am Going to Atlanta




I hate having a great idea for a blog posting then forgetting the idea. This happened this morning. I got a call first thing after getting to the office, the time was not even 8:00a.m.—we were not even formally open but I cannot let a phone ring if I m there to answer it. I remember because I had to let the caller know there would be a slight delay as I had not even booted up my system yet and there would be a slight wait as I came on line and fully got into work mode. The call wanted information on an item on our Salesbank, our list of used equipment. There was something about this call which triggered an idea for today’s blog but it’s gone now.


I have found that if I do not write the item down immediately after thinking the idea I have lost it. Sometimes if I recite the idea over, and over and over again I can bring pretty much the whole thought I had. This is somewhat new behavior with in the past 7 years. Before this I would never have to write anything down. Once thought, the idea or fact was in the “vault” for good. Over night this skill or resource just seemed to vanish. Sometimes in the dark of night just before falling asleep I ponder, What if it’s Huntington’s or Alzheimer’s after all I am post head injury and what I have heard is that folks with head injury are candidates Alzheimer’s. So because I did not write my thought down the thoughts are lost. But even now I am beginning to forget.

I have spent all morning making arrangement for my Atlanta trip in May. The hotel that is hosting the conference did not have any wheelchair accessible rooms left. The hotel referred me to another hotel in the area, just a block from where the conference is to be held. In fact this hotel is a Renaissance Marriott an I really enjoy this chain, they have accessible rooms and the rooms have a government rate less then what I would have had to pay at the designated conference hotel. The room has a roll-in shower and I think the hotel being away from the conference will be an advantage. However, because this hotel is different from the one listed in the conference literature I am now waiting for state to authorize the new hotel. I should be OK for travel. I checked with MARTA the rapid transit system which serves this area and as near as I can tell light rail train goes fairly close to the Renaissance as close as the hotel in Philly was to the exit station there. I should be OK.

So now it’s real I have a seat on a flight which well leave SLC and go to ATL and now there is a room in a Marriott quietly waiting for me. I am still more then a little concerned that I am going to be doing this alone but I will and I am sure I will succeed.


No comments: