Sunday, April 23, 2006

This Is The Place




Sometimes a person just has to be gone. Friday I was in just a half day and yesterday I worked at a conference by Lou Gehrig's Disease chapter of the local the MDA. I had not planned to do the conference , I do not think I even knew of the conference ( by partner made the arrangements and had planned on doing this one but could not and never informed me). Any because I elected to take time n Friday afternoon. I was not able to write Friday am at work and I was to busy in the afternoon and yesterday I was exhausted following the conference.

I hate to drive but love being able to drive. I think one of the reasons I have to drive is because I am always lost. I think I have the worst since of direction of anyone on the planet. I may have been to a place six times but on that seventh time I will find myself lost as if I had never been to the destination before. The conference started at 9:30 vendors or exhibitors were to be at the hotel by 8:30 to be set up and ready for the pre-confernce showi.e., registration. I think I find my way by association( must be some relic of “pack behavior”. I typically will not use an address to ind something. I will realize that if the place a has a certain name I'll find the place when I get in the relative area: i.e.the Airport Hiltion well be near the airport. And like I said I have been to the place numerous times I would find it. I know how to get to the airport.. what Iwas not prepared for was fact the State would be doing road construction on the stupid off ramp I needed to get to the Airport area! There right in my lane a mile of orange cones disappearing my lane and a flashing sign say “Choose Alternate Route. Alternate route?! ALTERNATE ROUTE??!!! What the hell is this ? The I-80 game show. I knew in some close by Denny's a lowly D.O.T.employee—a cone operator-- Was snickering over his third cup of coffee. As I hurled past the closed of ramp frantically searching form ALTERNATE ROUTE.!!! As early as Friday morning I was telling myself I needed to get over to Yahoo for a map to the Airport Hilton, if not, at least to the yellow pages for a correct address. IN UTAH IF YOU HAVE THE ADDRESS YOU CAN FIND THE PLACE:one word, COORDINATES. But Friday just evaporated as did early Saturday morning with out securing . I was out of the driveway and on my way to the Interstate before I realized my error and then the blocked turn off then lost.

I remained lost for the next half hour careening down rural roads surrounding the airport, vainly searching for buildings or atlease figure ground effects I recognized. I end up at airport number 2-- the mini-airport used by the area smaller aircraft, flying school and “Jump teams”. When you are at “Number 2” you know you are lost. I had been there a umber time during “Kid Day” adventures years before. I was finally stopped by a Homeland Security guard keeping our airport safe when I tried to drive into Number 2 to ask directions. Homeland Security informed me I was lost or a saboteur and I had better get my ass out of there before he shot me. Homeland eventually devolved I should get back on the Interstate and take the next turn off( the infamous ALTERNATIVE route and I would see a spawn of Hotels.

A bit shaken I did as Advised...and as I came on the next turn off I began to recognize landmarks and buildings. I was there. I was in the general area of the Airport Hiltons. I found the place, downloaded the exhibit and did the confernce but I'd had enough for one day—I'ld blog tomorrow—today.

No comments: