Monday, April 10, 2006

TAXIEXTORTATION

TAXI—EXTORTATION

I am always --amazed at how the world just keeps on going on and on and on never minding what is happening right under it’s nose. Case in point I was emailed last week just before leaving work by one of my colleagues, here in the office about helping her do research in obtaining some sort of transportation for a guy who works here and will need transportation to attend a meeting, next week, out of this county.

As most of you readers know I work for and information and referral  network,  finding the answers to any and all questions dealing with disability in this State.   I emailed her back I was just leaving the office and I would look first thing Monday morning.  I was transportation coordinator at an Independent living center here in town ( in another life time) and am familiar with the transportation needs in this community for people with disabilities.  It did not take me   to learn that non of the taxi s in town has an accessible van.  In fact what the taxi cab companies have done is band together and have  agreed to refer anyone who calls needing accessible to gold cross of an organization called Handi-van. In either case these are private providers whose charges are out of range of range of most consumers who  do not have secondary provider coverage.  Handivan has a $45.00  pick-up
Fee and then a charge of 3.00 per mile.   The consumer I was researching this information  had to attend an event in a county about 60 miles to our south.  Two trips ( there and back ) so that would be $45 X 2= 90.00 + (120 X 3.00= 180.000)=$270.00.












No comments: