Thursday, February 08, 2007

Double Your Pleasure Double Your Fun



You know how weird it is when you go a forever without thinking of something or somebody then all of the sudden these item are all over your ‘radar’ just out of the blue. Remember how This happened yesterday I was talking with a friend of mine and she just happened to mention a set of twins I knew at one time when I first started working in this State twenty odd years ago. Two lads from up North working for an independent living center; these guys were smart though more likely brilliant. They disappeared into the bowels of Higher Education lost in the maze of graduate work and post graduate studies and surfaced a decade or so later in the National Capitol. Both are well entrenched in the Washington scene and high level positions in the current administration. Well, for what ever reason the lads are returning to Utah and are looking for housing.

So here are more people with significant disabilities who have made “good” and very well could be splendid role models for younger folks with disabilities. What is really exciting for me is these guys are looking for downtown loving, like apts or condo’s but they are in Dc and I am here so I offered my services. I plan to get some information and take some images of projects going up in Salt Lake. This should be entertaining and useful data. Again, in my experience of working with people with disabilities very few of us ever make dollars at the level needed to even generate homeownership questions. Because these type of questions have not been asked the lists and resources have never been generated. So hopefully now these lists shall be.

I have a great boss! I am really fortunate to be able to work in an office with a boss who really understands and continues to work at understanding the myriad of disability issues and questions. I was fortunate to know her when she was just like me a lowly State worker. But she got the job of director of this office. Her transition in the position has been most interesting. I have, of course, been able to watch her grow and she has grown. This is the first time I have been able to witness this at such close proximity. She had to come on and be tough, lay some ground work yet stay approachable and be the leader. I had the prior boss fairly will trained, not necessarily me but the staff in general; for instance, rather then marking over time on the time-sheets I would just take the time off at the end of the day or week or time period. Well, a lot of other staff were doing the same but there was some obvious abusing of time going on. So this kind of time using was suspended. In fact I was not even getting my over time and then that is a problem. But I just asked her about how to code the time I spent with the Russians last week…and she just said “just take the hours off tomorrow afternoon”. And so everything is as it was and life goes on.

No comments: