Friday, February 23, 2007

Happy Trails Ron













It was snowing when I left for work this morning. The local media had been talking about this storm front fore the past week and I was surprised to see a couple of inches of the white stuff in the trees and on my ramp. I thought most of this reporting was just fluff. I had promised Dianne I would drive in today if there was snow, so I did. But now, the sun is out and a most of the snow that has fallen today is gone as the temperature hovers around 32 degrees. Weather Bug now reports that several bands of snow will hit the area over the next week or so. It’s going to be wet, messy and sometimes cold but this is all good to me because this kind of weather means Winter is in that seasons death throes. Spring is very close now.

My friend Ron died last night—unexpectedly. Ron has had some pretty serious medical issues over the past couple of years but I thought he was sort of on top of these issues. Actually, Ron is more of an acquaintance then a friend, though I do count him as a friend. I knew Row through his wife who occupied the office next to mine when I worked at independent living. Ron was one of those guys who just warmed you by his smile. Ron was a “straight shooter” in a friendly sort of way. You trusted Ron the way you would trust “The Duke” if you knew ”The Duke”. You could tell John Wayne was the Real Deal just the way Wayne carried himself. Ron was like that. His eyes made me want to eat a burger he had barbequed. He was well done and deep flavored. I thought I had more time to change my acquaintance with Ron into a real friendship. I didn’t. I lost my chance and I truly regret the lost opportunity. I wish Ron well as his continues to where he is going. I am sure that smile of Ron’s will more them show him the way to proceed. In fact if I know Ron, that smile of his will be a lantern for other who may be lost, and I believe will show them the way to an even bigger and brighter light. Ron I am glad I had what short time I did with you. Farewell./

No comments: