Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Old Friend




Sunday morning we often have the radio with NPR playing in the background as white noise. Coffee sometimes bacon and eggs or just conversation and NPR’s usually Sundy Edition and what ever follows. The affiliate we listen to has recently started running Living On Earth. I don not remember quite what I was doing when all of the sudden I heard the name “Guy hand” come across. The story which had just been renderd had been rendered by M hand. My head snapped up and I was alert to the radio and the noise.

When I was in high school ( you might remember from earlier blogs that I was forced to attend the cross town high school because of my wheelchair) and one of the friends I had at Borah High School was Guy Hand. We actually double dated to my Jr. Sr. prom together. Guy was a good friend as long as we knew each other. But after graduation we seemed to drift apart, as people do. We should not have since we attended the University, but we did. And then thirty years pass just like that! Viet Nam, marriages, Univeristy, earth quakes, the Berlin Wall, personal computers, X-Files and the INTERNET. Guy Hand was one of the few guys with a brain I remember from high school. I think I would have loved to had discussions about the previous subjects.

Anyway in a flash my mind was flood with all these thoughts thinking could this be the same Guy Hand? In the context of Sunday’s show the announcer indicated that he lived in Idaho. This was way beyond coincidence I figured that the name combination of “Guy” an “Hand” is pretty rare. So I started the whole Google search and found ‘Guy Hand” and was rewarded with numerous listings of Guy and his production company. There was even a couple of historical references to Boise and the NPR affiliate for the Gem state which just about removed all doubt. But it still could be a son or other name sake relative.

This morning I found Guy’s email and blasted a short email before I headed into to my advisory board meeting. There was return email if my mailbox when my meeting was done. This Guy hand was the same Guy Hand I hand know so long ago. Guy seems to have done well socially and economically. I donot remember Guy being as artistic as he had turned out to be. I hope to get to know Guy a little better and see what things he can teach me. Guy has been all over the country and the world. He has had the life people dream of and make situation comedies about. He is one of the few with the courage and means to “come home” to return to his roots. Check out his work at http://guyhand.com/.

Today was my advisory board meeting. Only two people showed, actually only one and the other came in by telephone. He lives in a city 50 60 miles North of us and he is blind. I thought about having Barstow his service dog drive but decided against it since Barstow is not certified for a state vehicle. The meeting was OK—I will essentially have to have it again in 90 days but it was a good meeting.

No comments: