Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Karma

There seems to be another family upheaval, which I am not going to go into here because of promises I made to my mom about airing family business in this blog—which is not what I do intentionally but some times things creep in. But for now things seem at pretty high stress levels as family members mobilize to find some assisted living options for a senior about to be homeless.
I don’t know how this crises happened but we have become the story you always hear of second hand, from someone at the office, or on the train or the plain but always the story of a situation you cannot conceive of happening to you or your family. In my job as an information officer regarding disability questions I hear this exact same story every day and I always hang up shaking my head in disbelief and muttering “people, people, people”. Well, now I must be one of those “people”.

What if I am the one being taught the “lesson”. What if I am being humbled at the expense of my mother? My lesson being that “I never, never judge anyone because you don’t know what they have been through” or you know part of what they have been through or one side of the story. I tend to wax prideful and acknowledge I need to be brought down a peg or two from time to time. Usually when this happens the fall-out is usually contained to my own perimeter. Not much I can do now to accept the consequences, assist in the damage control and hopefully be a positive force in the healing process. Families are and life is so weird.

My boss is so cool. A disability legal advocacy shop not far from this office just replaced their executive director (ED)who moved on a couple of months ago. The interim director, who was also their advocacy person ended up being made the permanent ED which is cool. Matt is a good, conscience guy an will make a fine ED. However his position, Director of Advocacy is now open. So my boss has been on the phone all afternoon calling friends and colleagues she feels might be appropriate for this position. I hear of networking and people talk about networking but Claire is really the only person I have seen and heard who has been power networking. Even if none of these folks get the position Claire has developed tons of great karma and good feeling spreading the word. And she is not just being a good guy. Claire is doing her job: strengthening her position in the community and by doing soothe position of the whole office. Now how great will it be for Claire and the office if one of these leads she passed out does get the position? Claire gets a good and strong friend and ally for life. Claire has been in this position for nearly a year now and she has made the transition. Claire is the boss learn from her.

No comments: