Monday, March 24, 2008

ALittle White Van


Since I had so much time to myself yesterday—I did not go over to the offspring’s for dinner for all the reasons alitterated in the previous post. I was surprised I got out dinner so easily but having the van in the shop made a big difference.

Easter being a major Christian holiday I cannot help but think back to my clinic days when I was probably in contact with more Christians then any other time in my life. The medical director—the Captain, for reasons I will one day share with this audience, seemed to be a major Christian. I never have quite figured out if Mack was a Christian because his wife, Alice was a Christian or did Mack pick up his philosophy somewhere else. In any case he was, not only did Mack tote a bible he usually toted his Greek bible and he could read it too. Mary Foreman, maybe not a Christian by definition, was Roman Catholic, a practicing Roman Catholic, so practicing we referred to her as just Sister Mary. In fact, rumor has it that Mary did wind up in a convent somewhere. I was thinking of all these people yesterday and reached out to those I knew where they might be.

Jose I got hold of in the middle of his Sunrise service. Of course he just noted my call and got back with me about twenty minutes later following the service. I still don’t know how comfortable I am with Jose being a “born again”. Jose was I were pretty rowdy bring the youngest members of the team so when the word came down that he had accepted the Word I was floored. But Jose has kept the Spirit and grown in his faith. To where he has basically quit his full time work in Texas and has turned his life over to Christ and runs a small church in Mexico not far from Mission, Texas. Jose lives on both sides of the border and talks as if he soon will relocate entirely to Mexico.

Mac or the Captain, is now living in North Carolina which seems just wrong to me but for a major bunch or reasons but that is where he is. Captain is living in a long-term “care” facility. The facility is an intermediate care facility which means Mac has as much autonomy as heis going to get but probably is as much as he needs: all things being equal. Mac has a daughter living close by to make sure has what he needs and stays out of trouble. When ever I speak to the Captain there is a longing in his voice which nearly breaks my heart. Alice is gone, his past is gone and his days are all but gone,living in this antique shop waiting, waiting, just waiting.

We rode circuit everyday in Southwest Idaho to migrant health clinics. We traveled in a white six cylinder Chevy van—Jose has painted Mercy Medical Missions on the side with image of the world infront of an image of a cross. The three of us rode the circuit each day: Nampa to Boise, Boise to Nampa, Nampa to Parma( and lunch) and Parma to Homedale then back to our home base Nampa. In the little white van, to my knowledge now images of the little white van survives but I have included an image of little red van which brings back many memories.

No comments: