Thursday, March 13, 2008

Chips




One of the best things about cold lunches are chips and I love chips like other people like chocolate. I am surprised movie theater do not sell chips like they sell popcorn. If I had a choice I would rather eat some kind of chip then popcorn swimming in some sort of butter sludge.

So today was a cold lunch day. I asked Dianne to pack me a bag of Fritos. I also grabbed what was left of a bag of frozen dogs and tossed them in my bag pack as well. When I got to work I saw Dianne had packed half the sack in one of those quart sized ‘ziplock’ plastic bags. I never got Fritos as a child. Fritos was one of those high ends that other kids got but not me. Sometime, during the pick-nick holidays like “Forth of July” of Memorial Day and we might be meeting with extended family members at Julie Davis park we actually had Clover Club potato chips—which I think might be some of the best made potato chips on earth. Rarely did we ever get potato chips in our lunch. We did if mom went to the “dead bread” store and the dead bread store had what I called ‘pig chips’. ‘Pig chip” where chips sold in large white unmarked bags and sold at a ridiculously low price. If fact that is how these chips got the ‘pig chip’ name. One time when I was with mom in the store and a pig farmer came in and asked if “the” chips had come in and the clerk said ‘chips’ had and if the pig farmer would pull his truck round to the back they would load the chips for him. Sure enough old Pigdonald backed up his 1957 GMC and they rolled barrels of these ‘distressed chips’ into the truck and the happy farmer sped away ,I assume, to where equally happy swine would receive the carbo delights.

I think of cold lunch I like best with chips would have to be the tuna fish sandwich. Potato chips not only adds a nice salty crunch to the tuna fish sandwich but can also save the tuna fish sandwich if the tuna has been mixed with a little too much mayo or salad dressing and the bread has taken in too much moisture. Potato chips placed on the tuna fish mixture and the bread if the bread can be separated from the tuna. The trips should be applied generously to provide the correct crunch, there by pulling the soggy sandwich away from the edge of sandwich hell. Fritos also works extremely. A little know fact is that potato chips also saves PB&J when too much jam has been used.

Today was corn chip, lots of them, with frozen dog in two week old buns wrapped in paper towels and micro-waved for one minute. I like being able to go out for lunch, I like being able TO go out for lunch but somewhere in the back of my mind I still love the crunch of good chips with the right sandwich from the depths of a crinkled brown paper bag.

No comments: