Thursday, March 20, 2008

Spring Showers


I was trapped in my van this morning, again. I decided to drive y van into work this morning. I have a meeting at lunch across town and it takes me an hour to get there if I take the bus but only 15 minutes if I drive, so I feel I am doing the tax payer a service if I drive in and drive to my meeting saving 90 minutes in travel time. When I got to work I opened my doors on the van and went to lower my lift and the lift started to act by itself, the opened door began to close and got caught in lift and everything stopped an I was essentially trapped in my van. Luckily the Mexican Embassy is located in the top of our building and they have lots of people always coming and going to their building and some of those folks stopped and tried to help. They don’t speak a lick of English but were willing to do what ever I pointed to. We eventually got lucky and they disengaged the lift from the door my lift and the thing worked and I was able to get out. While all this was happening I had managed to call my lift mechanic on my cell phone and is supposed to stop by the office this morning hopefully to see if he can get the lift working properly. I am afraid now the lift seems to be working correctly he will not be able to ascertain what is wrong with the lift and I will get trapped again somewhere sometime when I least need or expect the system to fail. Oh well, life always seems to be interesting. Luckily today the weather looks absolutely beautiful: clear to partly cloudy with temperatures in the 60’s—so even if my lift fails in the community I could still get round with the buses and train just fine.

So when I went to go home my lift failed again!! The only lucky part was I was sitting infront of a State building full of people who are supposed to work with problems like this. I had my cell phone hanging round my neck and called one of my friends , who I knew was still inside the building and they came out and tried to help but rally could not figure out what the problem was so one of the guys called a lift company I don’t use for a number of reasons and the owner came out and looked at the van and then said if I came to the shop they could fix it. Well, they disconnected my doors but were able to get the lift folded up and we bungeed the doors closed and I drove over to P Q…their people looked at the lift further and did find a problem with the wiring inside the door but they could not work on the lift then which was OK with me. These guys had worked on my equipment before and had not treated me very well, I wanted to go back to my mechanic, who is the fellow who actually installed the lift and knows it best. His name is Justine and I have worked with him for 10 or 15 years.

I called Justine and he was still at his office so I drove by and dropped off the vehicle. As I started off saying my letter that yesterday was a beautiful day and a warm day for the last full day of winter, so I took off for this meeting with out a coat or hat or any type of protective clothing. I had to drive my power chair for about four Sandy blocks in the evening traffic time as the sun began to set. It was a chilly ride to the train and it was even chillier from the train at my station home but I made it.

Wouldn’t you know it, rain this morning. Dianne made me wear my red plastic slicker. I balked at first but was very thankful by the time I got to work. The rain in Murray was just lightly falling but down town the rain was pouring but the red plastic kept me dry and now the storm has moved on and better weather for Easter….I hope!

Happy Spring an Happy Easter…

No comments: