Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Life Excitement an d Chinese Too


Sometimes life excites me so much I have a hard time sleeping. This morning I woke at 3:15 am and could not get back to sleep. I did manage to stay in bed till 4:30 my usual rising time but and I was darn glad to get up but I can tell I am going to be groggy all day and today is Council Day! I also have a Transportation meeting following Council but I really just need to take notes in that meeting and by then I hope I am in my second wind. I guess I am also relating that I am writing this early in my day before I am so wiped out that I will not be coherent.

I am really to be working at the job I am doing right now. I like what I am doing and good enough at the job that I have been doing this job to another similar to job for nearly two decades. In this job I am essentially an operator. I answer the phone and give our disability information for the State of Utah. I get a lot of calls from people to lazy to either look the phone number up themselves or two cheap to make a long distant call on their own dime and call in using our toll-free line thinking I will be able to connect them. I cannot connect them and many if not most of the calls have nothing to do with disability. Our Statewide number is listed in the “blue pages” of the phone book and we’re the first number these folks stumble upon. Many of the calls, however, are “good” calls people with disabilities or family members of folks with disabilities needs to know were they might go to get help specific to their disability. Sadly, many times, these folks have gone everywhere one can go with no resolution and I have to be the one to tell them they are SOL(Swift Out of Luck). Because I have done this type of work for so long I often can give them some information or advice which will help them make their next decision. Sometimes when I give the bad news it’s the best new for the people because they at least stop looking and hoping along that particular line of questing. The caller then can open another line of searching hopefully with better results. May times this is the consumers second or third “Information and Referral”(I&R) line and the operators just pass them on to another I&R , the consumer still hopeful if not more frustrated. I atleast stop their search and get them searching somewhere else. We recently hired a nother operator at part time for the time being. She is great, a fast learner and usually covers phones when I go for lunch. I hope to be able to switch this operator over to full-time and benefits soon but I cannot so it yet.

So I' m excited, everyday is exiting and I am getting to do new things , it seems, everyday. I sometimes wish I had more time or more energy to try to get everything done I would like to do. Speaking of which the best part of Council Tuesdays is Council always has a catered lunch…today it’s Chinese.

No comments: